Breast Cancer Community
armpits & breasts hurt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

armpits & breasts hurt

I'm very scared because I've had a constant, dull ache under both armpits and in both breasts (not nipples, and not heavy whole-breast achiness like in pregnancy) for almost 2 weeks now. I don't have a fever.  I'm 39, I don't have any discernable lumps anywhere, I'm not pregnant or on my period, and I don't have large breasts (another blog mentioned large breasts as a cause).  I should get my period in about 1.5-2.0 weeks,   The ache is definately more pronounced in both of my armpits and the ache in my breasts is deep inside and very mild.  No one in my family has breast cancer, but there are a lot of other cancers in my family, and doesn't someone have to be the first.  I'm very scared.  I'm definately going to the doctor, but would appreciate any feedback before next week, I know tests etc.. will take time, and the waiting is the hardest part, especially since now it seems it's not going away.  

This discussion is related to Is this normal?.
1 Comment
It's impossible, over the internet, to tell you for sure why you are experiencing pain in your breasts and armpits,since there are so many possible reasons. These can be broken down into causes related to menstruation(Cyclical) or non cyclical pain; both involving hormonal fluctuations in the body. Although many women with pain in one or both breasts understandably fear breast cancer, breast pain is NOT a common symptom of cancer especially when it involves both breasts.. I don't think that you should be overly concerned or scared, but seeing a doctor,preferably a breast specialist,is recommended to make sure that there is nothing to worry about.
Have you done any new exercise lately? this could be muscle pain also.
Wishing you all the best....