Breast Cancer Expert Forum
arthritis versus bone met

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

arthritis versus bone met

Background:  I had a total (left) hip replacement in 4/08, for OA secondary to AVN.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer (IDC, stage 1, grade 1)  in 5/08.  At the time of diagnosis, I had a base line bone scan, which was clean.   In addition, I had x rays of both hips last year which were normal (except for the prosthesis).

At my two year check-up, my orthopedic surgeon took x-rays of both hips and after glancing at them said the right hip now showed arthritic changes (cysts and bone spurs).  I have had pain in that hip for the past year.  What I do not understand and  my surgeon did not answer is how you differentiate between arthritis and bone mets in an x ray?  The x-rays have not been read by a radiologist, as they were done in house by the orthopedic surgeons tech.  Is it reasonable to have the x-rays read by a radiologist or should I ask my oncologist about a bone scan?  (My oncologist is aware of my ongoing hip pain and has not suggested another bone scan).
Dear lisa_e,  Their are certain features that make findings on an x-ray more or less suspicious for various conditions.  Asking to have the reading of the films confirmed by a radiologist who's expertise is interpretation of x-rays is reasonable.  Discuss your concerns with both your orthopedic surgeon and oncologist - if only that they can discuss with you the findings and be better able to reassure you.