Breast Cancer Community
asymmetric density breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

asymmetric density breast

I went for a screening mammogram. Found asymmetric density recommended additional views and sonograms. I ask for the report from Dr. and they gave it to me. On the report from Radiology that breast parenchmal tissues dense,but without findings of suspicious masses or clustered microcalcifications. No areas of architectural distortion are noted. Has any one had this. on the bottom of the report my Dr. wrote nomal mammogram repeat in 1year.
When I went back Friday I ask them about that. They said he had more than mine to sign and didn't know he sign it that way. So now I don't know what to think. Should I call the Dr.
Had the test done Friday and now from what I found i'm worry. I can find focal asymmetric but not much on just asymmetric density. they would not tell me anything. but when I went to leave the person who did the test said if it was me i would not lose sleep over this.
Hi Topenka,
     Overall it sounds like a good report.  The denisity of the breast is usually noted and the fact that yours is assymetrical sounds like a simple observation, not necessarily a sign of issues.  Make and appt with your GYN to discuss the results and I bet you will feel Better!  MV
Hi-
I just got back from my doctor and I got the same report...Assymentrical density and they also told me that they saw a benign node in my right breast which they told me I "probably" should not worry about.  I am so confused.  The problem is that my baseline mammography films are in an archive and I cannot get them for 10 days. The Dr. told me she has to compare them to my new ones. Thus,  I have to worry for another 10 days.  My mother just got diagnosed last month with DCIS.  What exactly can sssymetrical denisty  indicate?
I found this in an article at
http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth/mammogram_report_print.asp  

Dense, Density: Describes breast tissue that has many glands close together. Density shows up as a white area on a mammogram film. Though fairly common (especially in younger women), dense breasts may make microcalcifications and many other masses difficult to detect.

Asymmetry: An area that is not found to be identical in both breasts (such as density). It is often a normal variant but can also be a sign of an abnormal growth.
I went to the Dr. today and asked about my mammogram. He said he did make a mistake he should of not wrote normal mammogram come back in 1 year. I told him I was upset but he acted like o well.
I went back Friday and had additional views and a sonograms done. Today I got the results and showed no radiographic findings suspicious for malignancy.
I will pray for you all I know how stressfull the wait.
So happy for you that you got good results. Don't forget us here though.
Great News!  I am dancing in my special Pink Shoes for you!  MV