Breast Cancer Community
bilateral nodules

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

bilateral nodules

hi, rec my ultrasound report.  it said my nodules measuring 8 x 9 x 6 mm have not well defined margins, no posterior shadowing on right breast.

left breast, nodule 9x7x7 mm also show an irregular shape with lobulated margins. no posterior shadowing.

have read from internet that chances of breast cancer is very high if the nodules are irregular shape and margin not well defined.  I m really scare and stress out now!! my appointment with the breast surgeon is 3 weeks later.  do you think my nodules is really cancerous? ??
First of all,I would say always keep a positive outlook.Not all irregular shaped nodules are cancerous, especially when no posterior shadowing is noted.A fibroadenoma( benign solid breast tumor) is usually well defined,but can sometimes have an irregular shape.
I wish I could help alleviate your fears,but for now,no one can tell you for sure what these nodules really represent ...Further investigation is certainly needed and that's why you have been referred to a Breast Surgeon who might want to biopsy the lumps,because this is the only way to make sure that malignancy is ruled out..
Try your best to relax, I know waiting is terrible,but you will not change the outcome by worrying.There are a lot of us who have been through this...just hang in there, take one day at a time and hope for the best .
Please let us know how things are proceeding and if you need to talk, we are here to help you.
Wishing you all the best...
hi, finally went to see the breast surgeon today. she said my US  was done on jan (two months ago) and since I don't have any family history for breast cancer , she suggested I come back for another US next month.  she refused to do a mammogram as I m under 40 year old.  Also,  she said no point jump into biopsy as the nodules could due to hormone change etc.  I am just tired of keep waiting,  should I get a second opinion or continue to torture myself for waiting  again? I have to go for US next month and then wait for 1 week later before the result is out again. I really hate this!!
It could be that your Breast Surgeon believes that what was seen on your ultrasound films are lumps due to cyclic changes ( hormonal fluctuation) and wants to repeat the test in one month's time,to see if these lumps have shrunk. Make sure your have the Ultrasound done after your period is over, when the breasts are not as swollen
Mammograms,are very important but do not detect all breast lesions and abnormalities which are particularly difficult to interpret if your breasts are dense... meaning there is a lot of glands, fibrous tissue and less fat.
I don't think you should be worried waiting till next month for an Ultrasound follow up.These little lumps could be cysts or fibroadenomas which are the most common benign breast lesions.They are not related to breast cancer in any way and are known to increase in size and tenderness in relation to the menstrual cycles due to hormonal changes.
I am sure your Breast Surgeon will let you now,if further investigation will be needed when your next Ultrasound will be performed.
However,if waiting makes you feel very anxious, then by all means you could take your Ultrasound films and have them read by another radiologist or Breast Specialist for a second opinion.
I wish you well and I hope it will be nothing to worry about.
hi zouzi,

thanks u for your speed response,  I always feel good after reading our response.  as I am going through this alone,  I just can't help getting panic and stress out at this moment.  will keep you posted for the result of my next check up.
went to see my doctor today, she said my latest US was the same as what I have taken 4 months back. alot of cysts breasts and nodules on both breast measuring about the sizes.  My Birads was 3 and she suggested me to come back for US next year.   She didn't want me to do a biopsy but to monitor the sizes of the nodule instead.  I am not sure whether is one year too long for the review. or should seek a second opinion?  
Radiologists/Surgeons are quite able to identify typically benign breast lumps depending on how they appear on films.According to your doctor,there are no suspicious lesions, masses, or calcifications to report.
BIRADS score 3 is used when a noted finding has a very high probability of being benign, but regular monitoring is always required to establish its stability.
If you are not comfortable waiting a year for a follow up,you may consult another breast specialist, if that is what you prefer.
I doubt that you will be told something different,but if it puts your mind at ease,then by all means go for it!
I wish all the best to you ...