Breast Cancer Expert Forum
biopsy results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

biopsy results

i am 38 years old. My mother had breast cancer at age 59. i started mammograms at 35. i had scattered microcalcifications and cysts and had mammograms and u/s done every 6 months. Then i was cleared to come yearly. i got pregnant and had my first child at 37. I just had my first mammogram in 2 years (had to wait for 6 months until after breast feeding). they found a mass and i just got the results of my core biopsy. can you explain what the results mean and whether it is safe for me to try to get pregnant again. they have recommended i do a mammogram and u/s in 6 months. "No carcinoma found. Focal fibrosis with adenosis and columnar cell change"
Dear bradysmom11,

Thanks for posting your query.

I would like to reassure you that there is no reason to worry at present. You are currently suffering from a benign breast disease, known as fibroadenoma. These are benign masses, which can increase in size during pregnancy, and are primarily made up of fibrous and glandular tissue ( the normal tissue that makes up the breast) This is not a serious condition and usually the size of the lump decreases over a few months. Even if it does not decrease in size, no active treatment is indicated. Your doctor has correctly advised a follow-up scan after six months, just to keep a tab on the lump. You can certainly get pregnant again. The lump won't turn malignant by itself or due to pregnancy.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh