Breast Cancer Expert Forum
birad 3 mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

birad 3 mammogram

I am 45, no family history of bc and had my screening mammogram last month and was called back for spot compression because of a nodular density on left breast.  Radiologist noted that I have dense breast that may not be sinsitive to mammography. Went for spot view and the radiologist said the density was not seen on both views from the screening mammo and became less defined with spot compression, however, since the density was not on my last screening mammogram, he found it not unreasonable to come back for a 6 mos. follow up, BIRAD 3.  This report is a little confusing.  Is it something to worry about or is everything OK. I have had 4 screening mammograms since turning 40 and have been called back twice.  Is this normal?
Dear Laura45:  Dense breast tissue can make mammograms more difficult to interpret.  However, it is not uncommon to indentify a "nodule" on mammogram that requires spot compression.  The purpose of spot copression is to better characterize the lesion and determine whether further investigation is necessary.  A BIRAD 3 mammogram report  means "probably benign finding - very high probability of being benign.. Short-term follow-up (repeat mammogram in 6 months) recommended to establish stability". Without reviewing the mammogram and doing a breast examination, we cannot make specific recommendations.  If you are not comfortable with the recommendation you have received, you should discuss the findings with your physician or consider a second opinion, preferably with a breast specialist.
hi, i had the same thing. enlarging nodular density left breast.  i went to breast specialist and she compared all mammos, not just the one from last year and found it to match the one from two years ago. apparently it was just the positioning of the breast in the mammo machine. i will also go back in 6  months for another mammo and i think the radiologists are over cautious, which is good, and they like to place the final diagnosis in the doctors hands.  80% of all densities are are benign.  i was also told that i had dense lumpy breast....and that was the specialists last diagnosis.
good luck.
i know that the whole thing is scary and confusing.. the birad 3 thing is actually not as scary as it sounds..there is a dialog on this forum that goes into detail about each of the birad scores.
A related discussion, birad 3 was started.