Breast Cancer Community
birads 0 on mammogram and spot compression, birads 3 on ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I went for my annual mammography 7/19/10 and was called back for addtional testings of a spot compression and ultrasound done on 7/28/10.  The annual mammo report stated the breast parenchyma is hetrogeneoulsy dense.  This diminishes the sensitivity of mammography.  There has been increase in size prevously noted circumscribed masses in the left breast since the previous examination of 5/14/09.  The spot compression reports states:  A true left lateral view and spot compression views in the true lateral and craniocaudad projections are supplied.  They confirm the large posterior mass or masses previously described.  The largest shows a partial halo.  It measures 3.2X2.8 cm.  Mammographically it is indeterninate.  It will be correlated with a breast ultrasound today. Clinical history: left mass on mammography.  Comparsion:  Mammography earliler the same date and prior sonogram on 5/19/06. (which was a fibrodenoma which was core biospy done but fibrodenoma not removed completely, just biopised) report continued with previous solid mass seen at 10:00  on the prior study is no longer identified.  At the 2 o'clock position 6 cm on the nipple there is an ovoid elongated cyst that measures 3.2 x 3.6. 0.6.  It is possible this is related to the mass on the mammogram.  There is no evidence of a solid lesion seen that region.  Additionally, a small hyodense lesion measuring approximately 6 x 4 x 3 mm with internal echoes is seen a the 11 o'clock position 3 xm from the nipple and is indeterminate. Suggestion of a 3 months' time interval.  birads 3.  short-term interval evaluation mammographically and sonographically of the left breast is suggested in a three month time interval.  Also on the first mammography (not the spot compression one) stated there is no evidence of skin thickening, nipple retraction, or suspicious clusters of microcalcifications.  I called my gyn doctor office and he wants me to come in this week so he can recheck me (I had my annual check up on 7/16/09 ).  4 years ago I went through  a called back of only a ultracound and after the test the the radiologist told me that I would need a biospy and to contact my doctor who in returned referred me to a breast surgeon who confirmed by biospy that it was a fibroadenoma.  I did not have it removed so I had a 6 month follow up and then another 6 month follow up where the tumor stayed stable and breast surgeron told me I did not need to return to him and  to continue to get my annual mammography and breast check exams.  I have gone every year and didn't have any problems in the last 4 yrs except one call back two years ago on the right breast with a spot compression that showed it was nothing.  I am concerned and not trying to worry but why would they say 3 month follow up vs. 6 month and also I am 48 yrs old with skipping period for three months so could this be related to my breast problems.  How many women with birads 3 turn into cancer?  Thanks.
It's a combination of personal preference and pt. history. With your previous history I can see that 3 mon. re-check would be safer than waiting 6 months. The BIRADS scoring system just indicates what follow-up is necessary and no indication that something found will "turn into" something else. Cysts and Fibroadenomas are both benign findings but do need frequent follow-up to detect any change, increase in size, etc. It is usually recommended that Fibroadenomas be removed in women over the age of 40.  Regards ....
Thank you for responding to my questions.

My mom's sister died of breast cancer at the age of 65 so that is always in the back of my mind.  I go faithfully every year for my mammography and had problems with cysts even back in my twenties.  The fibroadenoma showed up only in the last four years.  I just get a little scared when they call you back.  Many blessings go out to all on this forum for good outcomes.