black mass on mamogram
My friend had a mamogram done.She has had white spots show up. but now they are black spots.what can that mean. The white spots were cysts. She called and asked me what would black spots mean.. worried about my friend
Mammography is a test that uses x-rays to create images of breast tissue. The test is performed to detect and evaluate abnormalities such as tumors and cysts. There are two basic forms of mammography: screening and diagnostic.
Different tissues in the breast absorb different amounts of x-rays, producing different shades of black, gray, and white on the film:
Fatty tissue absorbs a small amount of x-rays and appears black or dark gray.
Normal fibrous and glandular tissues (milk glands, lymph nodes) contain water fluid and absorb a moderate amount of x-rays, and appear light gray.
Fibrous and glandular tissues may contain calcium and appear nearly white or white.
ref:http://www.womenshealthchannel.com/breastcancer/mammography/index.shtml
Your friend should contact her Physician so that he/she can explain the Mammogram report to her in detail. It is impossible to say what a film means over the internet; these things need to be seen in person. Anyone (and that includes Dr.s) who would attempt to explain something that they cannot see is doing a disservice to the patient. Please advise your friend to seek an explanation from her Dr.