Breast Cancer Expert Forum
bleeding nipples

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

bleeding nipples
Yes,  for the past 2 days my nipples have been discharging blood. I need to know whats going on I'm afraid to tell my mother,  because she might over react. Please give me some information let me know something.
Dear teedy: Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors
I assume you are pretty young, if you're concerned about talking to your mom. If it's really red blood, as opposed to some other color fluid, it needs to be evaluated. However, when it's both sides in a young (teenager??) woman, it's quite sure to be a hormonal thing. For example, some women get bloody discharge when pregnant. Tell your mom about it, and tell her you researched online and it sounds like it's a minor hormone thing, but that it's best to have your doctor check it out.
I am a 34 year old female.  2 years ago I had a non-cancerous lump removed from my right breast.  Now 2 years later, I have bleeding from my nipple.  When I had the lump, it was very painful!  Now I have no pain at all.  Well, maybe a little pressure.  But nothing that keeps me up at night.  I have seen my doctor, and he wants to check again for cancer.  He wont talk to me about anything else.  I was wondering if there are any other answers, or diagnosis to this symptom?
A related discussion, Bleeding nipples was started.