Breast Cancer Expert Forum
blood discharge from breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

blood discharge from breast

Hello
I am 38 years old and my wife who is 24 ,today she noticed some blood leaking out from her right breast,i was wondering what it may be other then cancer,my wife sort of shrugged it off but i know she did that because of me so i am not worried,and thankfully our 4 children are to young to understand anything about this subject ,but to be honest i am more worried about this then anything i have ever been before,i want her to go to the doctor but in case she tries to hide the diagnosis i want to know what the possibible diagnosis may be so i can help her through this no matter what it turns out to be.
I know she has always been worried about looseing her breats's  and thinking that I would leave her or something as alot of women do i suppose ,I just want to be as informed as possible so i can support her as much as possible
thans you for any help or info
Rob
Dear concernedhusband26:  Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors
bloody discharge needs to be evaluated, without any question. She needs to see her doctor. The good news is that by FAR (90%) it's most likely NOT cancer; the most common explanation is a benign growth called a papilloma, which is not dangerous. But the only way to know for sure is to have some sort of  biopsy, and she really needs to do so.
she has an appointment friday afternoon with her doictor,i really apreciate all the information and help,im sure you know how scared i am about this and i cannot even begin to imagine how she feels,I hope it is as you mentioned something normal or other then cancer,but it is nice to have a place now i can go and inquire about things i have no idea about where my wifes health is concerned
thank you all again this has helped more then you can really know
Robert
A related discussion, ductal pappiloma diagnosis was started.