Breast Cancer Expert Forum
blue veins on breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

blue veins on breast

I'm 30 and around one month ago, I discovered surface veins on my left breast, which is bigger than my right. I've been to my OB/GYN, who gave me a full breast exam and did not find anything unusual. The veins seem to be more visible at different times, and one of the veins under the nipple seems slightly distended. I've been on Levlite birth control for about a year, and decided to go off of it last week to see if the veins would go away. They seem to be less visible now. Is this a common occurrence in women? Is it hormonal? Or can it be a symptom of breast cancer?

Thanks.
Dear Starlight, It is not unusual for one breast to be larger than the other breast.  Likewise having veins more visible at different times particularly in connection with fluctuations in breast swelling with menstrual cycles. Breast swelling and tenderness can be side effects of many oral contraceptives.

If the size of the left breast is increasing along with the new distension of veins, check again with your physician, they may need to do additional evaluation as to the cause of the size increase.