Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast and underarm pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast and underarm pain

Back in august i started to have breast and underarm pain on the right side. The doctor that i had went to went through numerous treatments (that did not work)and finally sent me to have a mammogram and an ultrasound done in october. They sent me a letter stating that they had found something on the ultrasound and that i needed to have another ultrasound done. Now here it is 4 months later and i dont have any insurance and need to have this done. The pain under my arm where the nymph node is has gotten worse and i need to know if i should try to go to a breast doctor and see what he thinks first or go ahead and schudle another ultrasound and then fo from there....I just want to be pain free...
Dear Steton:  It may be most helpful for you to discuss this directly with your doctor.  The doctor can then clarify the contents of the letter and advise you as to the best next step, taking into consideration that you do not have insurance.  If you have not done so already, you might contact a social worker to see if there might be financial resources or options for medical coverage available to you.  
It might be easier to rule out cancer than to make you pain free. Pain involving the breast and underarm is unlikely to be cancer (not impossible.) Usually it's something like fibrocystic change. That doesn't go away until after menopause. Things that can help the pain are eliminating caffeine and chocolate, taking vitamin E (400 - 800 units/day), wearing good support day and night, trying iodine -- most easily obtained by getting kelp pills at a healthfood store. For miserable pain due to fibrocystic breasts, hormone manipulations can be done (various pills) but they can have side effects such as acne, facial hair, etc.
For breast pain my doctor recommended Evening Primrose Oil which you can buy at any vitamin store. I had suffered with breast pain for a couple of years and this really helped. It did take awhile about 4-6 weeks to notice any improvement but it worked. I took it for approx. 3 + years and I no longer need it. I don't know why I don't need it, it could just be an age thing but I would give it a try. Good Luck!
Thank You for answering me so quickly. The only thing that I did forget to mention is my age (33) and that I did have to go through a hysterectomy last march, and that I did ask my doctor if maybe me going through all the changes was maybe why I was having so much pain. His response was "I dont think so". But I am willing to try any advice that anybody gives me, I gave up caffene when this all started, because I had heard that it could be part of thr problem that I was having with my breast. Maybe I am just parinoid, but I am also going to go ahead and make an appointment just to be sure there is nothing to worry about. Again thank you! and I will keep all of you informed on what happens next....
I too am having breast and underarm pain on my right side.  In Dec. 2003 I had breast surgery/biopsy.  The results were negative.  I recently went in (Nov. 2004) for a breast exam by my Breast Surgeon and a mammogram routine.  Every thing was fine.  However, I in the last year went through horrific challenges, loss of job, broken relationship, son in the armed service in the middle east, serious financial problems, and legal problems.  Also, had to move from a townhouse that I dearly loved.  Without no help from family, I ended up moving back home to take on another problem,... take care of my diabetic mother who is deeply depressed and only sleeps 24/7.  All of this be added stress which may be causing this discomfort in my breast.  I am also feeling this in my lower abdominal area.  I too am without insurance, but feel I must seek knowledge to know what is wrong or what is going on with my body.  Keeping a positive attitude is key.  And no matter what, I must stay calm and not worry.  I think this will only make matters worse.  I pray a lot.
hi, few days ago i notice a pain on my left breast, underarm and at the back.  i already have a schedule for physical check-up which included the papsmear (please excuse my english) this coming monday.  i can't sleep thinking the result of this examination.
A related discussion, underarm pain was started.
A related discussion, right side pain was started.