Breast Cancer Community
breast cancer & elevated liver enzymes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

breast cancer & elevated liver enzymes

Had breast cancer 7 years ago.  My friend had it 10 years ago.  She was just diagnosed with elevated liver enzymes.  I was just diagnosed with elevated liver enzymes.  We are both waiting for abdominal ultrasounds.  I only had radiation therapy w/Tamoxifen.  She had chemotherapy w/Tamoxifen.  Thought it was weird that this is happening to both of us right now.  She is not overweight, but I am.  Any other breast cancer survivors with this problem?????  Thanks for answering.
-3 Comments
Do you have any yellowish discoloration of the skin or urine? Have you noticed any weight loss or easy fatiguability symptoms? Have you got the viral markers done to rule out viral hepatitis? Without wanting to scare you, in some cases elevated liver enzymes could mean that the breast cancer has spread to the liver. Usually the clinical features manifest first but in some patients a metastatic lesion may only manifest by elevated liver function tests. You should discuss the USG report with your physician and see what he thinks could be the reason for the elevated enzymes. Ask him to rule out viral hepatitis too. Elevated liver enzymes are not a side effect of tamoxifen. Goodluck.
Elevated liver enzymes are elevated in numerous conditions. More commonly elevations of liver enzymes are caused due to liver pathology due to infections, inflammations, liver cirrhosis and secondaries from malignant tumours.
Since both of you had breast cancer, it would better if the working diagnosis is Secondaries Liver from breast cancer.  kindly do not panic.
Go ahead with ultrasound, the basic investigation.
My wife was diagnosed with Stage 3B Invasive Lobular Carcinoma in Feb. of this year. She had 3 of 18 nodes positive, her tumor was 7x8x8 and two of the three nodes were 2x3x3. She had her right breast removed, as well as the lymph nodes on the right side. In all of her scans, they also discovered gallstones. Recently, she had her gallbladder removed (2 weeks ago.) Recently, blood test revealed that she is Anemic and her liver enzymes are still elevated. The blood was drawn exactly one week after surgery. Could both the elevated Liver enzymes and the Anemia be related to the surgery, or are we dealing with Liver or Bone cancer? She had an abdominal ultrasound, an ERCP and x-rays for her gallbladder surgery, and everything was clean. Does post-surgical Anemia last for a week? Please help.