Breast Cancer Community
breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

breast cancer

after getting a second mammagram done they found a lymph node and want to see me back in 6 months what does it mean?
Lymph nodes are often present in the breast tissue.The normal function of a lymph node is to act as filters.The size of a lymph node ranges from a couple of millimeters to about a centimeter. When there is infection or inflammation somewhere in the body, a lymph node may enlarge.The purpose of watching an enlarged lymph node is to ensure that the lymph node is not continuing to grow.
An enlarged lymph node doesn't necessarily mean cancer...and a 6 months follow up is the usual recommendation.The lymph node detected on your mammogram does not have suspicious characteristics to warrant a biopsy at this time.
Best wishes...

Thank you for the info.I never went through this before and didn't know what it all meant.Thank you so much.