Breast Cancer Community
breast cyst/abscess?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

breast cyst/abscess?

I have recently had a lump in my breast, and i must point out that i arent breastfeeding and i am only 18, it was very sore and very big. my whole boob swelled but there was nothing physical on the skin. the lump hurt and my whole boob felt warm and was about twice as big as the other. i visited my GP who examined it and said it was a abscess inside my boob, and gave me a week antibiotics, 12 tablets a day to try and get rid. i had to go back 3 days later for some pain relief too. ive finished my tablets today and the swelling has gone down but im still having twinges of pain through my boob and even though the swelling and warmth have now gone there is still a lump there, and around the nipple is very hard along with all over the boob. ive looked this up online and mastitis is the only thing i have come across. however my lump is inside my boob and not on the surface.
i am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
Tags: Cyst, absess
Since the swelling and warmth have subsided,I would give it a week or more for the antibiotic to complete its job.The lump will most likely disappear when the infection is completely gone.It may take about two weeks time for the antibiotics to work after taking the last dose.
However if after 2 weeks the lump is still there and your breast is still hard, your GP could prescribe one more course of antibiotics or may refer you to a Breast Specialist to confirm the diagnosis of a breast abscess which is usually done using an ultrasound .If the Specialist confirms that you still have a breast abscess,it can usually be successfully treated by draining it using an Ultrasound to guide the needle into place..During the procedure,of course a local anesthetic will be used to numb the skin.
I hope your infection will resolve soon without the need of any further treatment.
Best wishes and good luck! :)
1 Comment
Best wishes and good luck! :)