Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast cyst aspiration complications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast cyst aspiration complications

I have a breast cyst 6,5cm large full of clear fluid.It had been aspirated twice and 50ml liquid removed.Biopsy clear.Second aspiration two months ago, agai.Did mammogram and ultrasound and it shows that it has filled up again and they also found a small 0,5cm lump attached to the wall of the cyst.Doctors say it has to be removed.Went to another doctor for second opinion.He wanted to do another aspiration to do a new biopsy.
He punctured the breast 7 times, no anesthetic, and could NOT find the cyst which is the size of an egg!(he did it blind with no ultrasound monitor)He kept removing the syringe with air in it...I experienced a very sharp intense pain in my back and my whole left arm was also painful and numb .The pain was excruciating and I could hardly breath in or move.Finally he got scared and stopped...he admitted that sometimes pneumonothorax might happen if the lung wall is accidentally punctured...
I went to a pneumonologist who told me that I did not have pneumonothorax, but that most likely he did puncture the lung for him to only take out air with the syringe and judging from the marks of the needle insertions which were much too low and too close to the lung membrane. He also said that he punctured a gland and that is why I had this terrible pain in the breast radiating to the back.(I had a muscle in a knot below my shoulderblade, in spasm).
The thing is now, I do not trust anyone!I am scared to death and do not believe anything any more.Should this cyst be removed or not?
Dear zandena:  In general, cysts do not need to be removed unless they are causing pain or other problems.  In your case, the cyst may also have a solid "lump" attached to it.  From what you have said, I think that this is actually the area of concern.  Most likely, this needs to be further evaluated.  You need to find a breast specialist - someone who focuses on problems with breasts and get it evaluated.  Try not to let a bad experience affect your opinion of all doctors.
I had a chext X-ray and they found fluid in the lower portion of my left lung...Is this due to the malpractice of the doctor who punctured my cyst and most obviously my lung?