Breast Cancer Community
breast hamatoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

breast hamatoma

I had a lumpectomy in early March.  Ever since I have a large hematoma beside the scar.  The scar has completely
healed and I have no pain.  After an ultrasound in late April the surgeon told it would absorb back into the body in 3-4
months but is now 9 months and it is still there.  I have to see the surgeon again shortly.  Should it take this long for
the hematoma to dissolve.  Would surgery be done to remove if it does not resolve within a time span.  Can it be left alone if it doesnt resolve.  It isnt bothering me in the slightest and I dont want surgery unless completely necessary.
1 Comment
Hematomas can take a considerable amount of time to re-absorb. Usually after the initial advice immediately after surgery (ice pack), warm compresses are recommended to aid in the absorption. I would doubt surgical removal unless the hematoma has become a real problem.  Regards ...