Breast Cancer Community
breast infection or cancer ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

breast infection or cancer ?

I am a 53 year old woman that had a kidney transplant 6 years ago  and that part is doing great . for the past 3 months I have been taking 3 different courses of antibiotics for a breast infection . I have no drainage but the area around nipple is  a different color , wrinkled and is enalrged ,also redness and warmth of the breast . I have had a Mamo , MRI , core Biospy and cancer has not shown up .no change after 2-3 months of kelflex and Avelox . Is this is an infection why arent all this drugs working , I hate to think I am doing myself more harm by taking all these and no results so far . Could this be IBC and all the test missed it ? Next I am going for a pucnch biospy  but if theres a chance that this could be IBC I dont want to waste time . Please help !
Do not panic and wait for the results of the biopsy to come in. It could be a non resolving breast infection which would need dtronger antibiotics , or a change of antibiotics from the one you presently taking. Also it is a possibility that it is a deep seated infection. The biopsy reports should help at reaching the diagnosis. What was the exact mammogram report? Is there a family history of cancer? Ask the doctor if there is a cystic or abscess swelling that would benefit by an incision and drainage. Goodluck with the biopsy.
With no antibiotics giving you any relief, it is advisable to have an sonogram done with a repeat of culture and sensitivity for the discharge. Since you were o n immunodepressant, cyclosporine can lead to progression of malignancy .
At this stage it is advisable to wait for biopsy and culture report.
Thank you for your reply . I was told that nothing was seen in the mamo and thier is no cyst or lumps .There is only one cancer in my family through an aunt with lung cancer. The punch biopsy reports shows no evidence of breast
carcinoma either within the dermis or subcuticular tissue or within the lumia of vessels .There is widening of the spaces between the collagen bundles which may represent either edema or mucin depostion.A scanty perivascular lymphocytic infiltrate is present . There is some benign ductal and glandular breast  epithelium at the very base of this biospy tissue .Findings  from Mri states breast are symmetrically formed and have a large amount of fibroglandular tissue bilaterally. Generalized cutaneous thickening is identified across the anterior aspect of right breast .The contrast portion of exam demonstrates preferntial enchancement within the glandular n cutaneous aspect of the right breast as compared to the asymptomatic left breast .
No geographically defined lesion is present within either breast and there is no evidence of focal distortion . Lymphadenopathy is not indentified.
So my family dr has told me to use antiflammitory cream and will repeat  ultra sound  next month  but in the mean time could they be missing something ? my nipple still dents in while I am wearing my bra and then slowly retracts and it is still red  but doesn't really hurt . Should i wait or find some more Drs ? I am on low dose of Prograf and Rapamune .Please give me your opinion . Thank you very much . Judy
Congrats about the reports. You need not worry. Use the prescribed cream and wear lose clothing and try some breast massage and hot compressus. Do a regular breast self exam and report to your physician any abnormality that you might notice. Get the repeat USG done next month and see what the report says. Goodluck!