Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast lump and mammogram with ultrasound

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I found a small lump on my left breast about 2-3 month ago and finally went to the doctor last week.  She ordered a dignostic mammo and Ultrasound.  The results of the mammo:  BI-RAD category 0. Bilateral craniocaudal and mediolateral oblique view disclosed the breast parenchyma to be heterogenously dense lowering sensitivity.  Intrammmary lymph node is noted on the right breast.  There is asymmetric breast tissue on the superolateral aspect of the left breast.  Then they did an ultrasound that said: real time sonographic examination discolsed a small well-defined solid density in the 8 o'clock position which measures approximately 3 mm in diameter.  The breast parenchym is heterogenously dense.  The radiologist's impression was  BI-RAD Category 2.  the palpable abnormality most likely represents a small intramammary lymph node or a small fibroadenoma which is a a benign process.  I have an appointment I made with a surg. next week.  Does this sound like anything or am I overreacting?
Dear aunt juju:  A BIRAD score of 0 on mammography is a temporary score indicating that additional views or testing is needed.  A BIRAD score of 2 on mammography is defined as a benign (non-cancerous) finding.  The statistics (5/10,000 chance of cancer being present) and the follow-up (next mammogram in one year) are that same as a BIRAD level one score (normal).  The BIRAD 2 category is for cases that have a finding that is characteristically benign such as a cyst or fibroadenoma.  A fibroadenoma is the most common benign, solid growth in the breasts. Fibroadenoma is round, movable, and firm. Fibroadenoma has no significant risk of becoming cancer and does not put a patient at increased risk of breast cancer.  As there are many levels of "skill" out there with regard to reporting, our doctors do favor getting a second opinion from a surgeon - this will allow the surgeon to review the films and make a judgment about whether a biopsy is needed.  From the reports that you mention above, this does not sound dangerous, but it's best to be safe and sure.
Thank you for your help and information, it helped me get thur this scary time.  I just have one more question to add.  I went to see a surgen and he looked at the results of the ultrasound and mammo.  and said he didn't see any problem with them.  He examed the lump and said it felt more like residual milk.  I stopped breastfeeding over 13 months ago.  But he wants to see me again in 6 weeks to recheck it.  My question is should I have insisted on a biopsy or do you think I am just really over reacting and should chill....... I am 35 and have no family history of breast cancer, but a lot of family hx of fibrocyst.