Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast lump appeared right after mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hello.  I'm 38 and have been told I have dense breast tissue.  There is no history of breast cancer in my family.  (My mother's breasts were full of lumps for decades while she was on Hormone Replacement Therapy and none of them were ever cancerous.)

About a month and a half ago I had a mammogram and ultrasound to check out a large lump in my right breast.    The lump ended up being a large cyst (one of many according to the ultrasound), which I understand is harmless.  (I had to have the same tests run about five years ago to check out lumps with the same results.)  

No more than two weeks later, I performed my monthly self-breast-exam and found a new lump in my right breast.  It's small -- about the size of a pea - and sore when I poke it, but it doesn't move around as easily as the larger ones I'm accustomed to getting.  The large one the doctor wanted checked out has since either disappeared completely or gone down enough that I can't feel it, but it took many months because I noticed it in May.

This one has been here for about a month now.  I read that trauma to the breast can cause lumps (hematoma or fat necrosis).  Could this simply be a result of the mammogram?  I told the technician to squeeze as tight as she wanted to because the little bit of pain it causes just doesn't bother me.  My breasts are often sore anyway.  

Should I be worried?  Or should I wait and see if it goes down?  The article I read about the hematoma- and fat necrosis-caused lumps didn't say how long it took them to go away.  

I really don't want to have another mammogram so soon. Not just because I don't have insurance, but because I've read too many articles in medical journals and cancer society publications that report the increased risk in breast cancer that annual mammograms produce in women under fifty.  I'm also between doctors now.  So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Dear Disheartened:  Without evaluation, there is no way we can speculate on what this lump might be.  In general, in the setting of a new lump, further investigation would be recommended.  You might consider bringing this to the attention of your doctor or seeing a medical breast specialist.  These are often affiliated with large academic medical centers.