Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast numbness

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast numbness

I am 40 years old. Since mid Jan. I have had numbness in my left breast. I went for a mammogram. I was called back for the left side. When I got there they were looking at the same location that the numbness is at. The second films were ok. They told me in compressed out. I saw my GYN and to be safe he wants me to first see a surgeon. He may also want me to see a neurologist. My question is, has anyone ever heard of this problem and what it may be? I am seeing the surgeon this week. I would appreciate any advise/help that you can give.
Dear kathleenok, It is difficult to respond to your question, numbness could be related to a number of things, injury, bruising, something interfering with nerves in the area.  So further evaluation would include questioning, as well as examination.  The surgeon would be reviewing the mammogram films as well to see if there are clues to your symptoms, and/or further evaluation is necessary to determine the cause.
Just wanted to post an update. I saw the surgeon today. She felt thickening at the area of my breast that is numb. This is different for right side, and different than the outside of same breast. She did 2 new sets of mammos. and they really were not conclusive. There is no definitive lump, but she does feel that I should have an ultrasound done on that area. What will the ultrasound show that the x-ray does not?
ref.  the breast numbness, I am 33 years old and in the last 3 days my nipples and breasts are feeling numb.  i am worried and i am afraid to go to my doctor because i have a history of ovarian cancer and i am finally at a stage in my life that i am happy
Hello Kathleenok,

About 2 months ago I started having numbness on my fingertips. this lasted about a month. I went and have an MRI, a CBC, I was checked for everything and all my results came back normal. I also went to see a neurologist and the test he gave came back normal as well. I regained feeling back into my fingertips, however the numbness is coming back. Also I noticed about four days ago my left breast (the upper part) is numb also. I am really confused now. I'm going to have to make another appointment with the doctors. I'm sure that this is related to the numbness in my fingers. I am only 33. I am really wondering what this could be.
Hello Kathleenok,

About 2 months ago I started having numbness on my fingertips. this lasted about a month. I went and have an MRI, a CBC, I was checked for everything and all my results came back normal. I also went to see a neurologist and the test he gave came back normal as well. I regained feeling back into my fingertips, however the numbness is coming back. Now my breast are numb. I'm 33 years old.
Hello Kathleenok,

About 2 months ago I started having numbness on my fingertips.  I went and have an MRI, and bloodwork. All results normal.I also went to see a neurologist. Everything normal. I regained feeling back into my fingertips, however the numbness is coming back. Now my left breast are numb. I'm 33 years old.
Hi, my breast are numb. I noticed it about 4 days ago. I'm only 33 years old. I also have been having numbness in my fingertips. Test were given for the numbness in my fingers and everything is normal. What's going on?
Hello Kathleenok,

A related discussion, Breast numbness and discharge was started.