Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast pain 10 months after radiation

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast pain 10 months after radiation

I had a lumpectomy 4-2005, chemo  and radiation that ended in October. I had a normal mammogram 4-06  For the past 3 weeks I have had breast ache and pain in the area of the lumpectomy  and surrounding area.  I am very active walk,play golf, swim, and it is very hot here in the south.  I have tried different combo's of bras and the one with more support seems better but the pain is always there.Is this normal and is there anything I can be doing for it?
Dear rusty6151:  The pain you describe could be from many things, including scar tissue.  Without evaluation, it is impossible for us to speculate on your specific situation.  If the pain does not go away or becomes worse, you may benefit from seeing your doctor for evaluation.

If you'll scroll down to around July 23rd, you'll find a post and answers to "Soreness after Surgery".  Also around July 17th there are more posts regarding soreness after breast cancer.  It seems pretty common but I wouldn't hesitate to mention it to your breast surgeon or radiation oncologist.
I don't know if this will help, but I had breast cancer in 2001, I was treated with chemo and radiation. Over the years I developed alot of pain in my breast and the surrounding areas, i.e. neck, arm, side, etc. I mentioned this numerous times to my doctor and he would send me for tests and everything came back negative. I decided to do some research, seems that I have been suffering with Post Breast Therapy Pain Syndrome (PBTPS) you can go to their website to look it up and see if it helps you in any way. After my research I gave my findings to my doctor to help him to treat me. Most doctors aren't aware of this, it's a side effect from the radiation that could take years to develop.
check out the website:  http://www.cancersupportivecare.com/neuropathicpain.php

I hope this helps.
A related discussion, Breast pain after radiation treatment was started.