Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast pain, and numbness.

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast pain, and numbness.

my left breast is almost always numb, and it hurts to even lay on my left side at night now. i've tried just not sleeping with a bra, but I feel that only makes it worse. i'm nineteen, and my mom is just now in remisson from breast cancer. i know breast cancer doesnt tipically hurt, but three generations before me have had breast cancer. sometimes the pain gets to where i cant even touch my breast. I have no medical insurance or anything, so I cant really afford to visit the doctor. what could it be?
Dear gabby134, Over the internet without assessment, examination etc. it is impossible to say what this is that is causing your discomfort.  We can say that breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.