Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast pain and itchy nipple
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

breast pain and itchy nipple

For months my left nipple has been very itchy.  There is no discharge and no rash. Then, a week ago, my left breast started hurting.  Mostly a dull ache with occasional stabbing pain in the same spot.  I am 48 years old, have 2 children, had a complete hysterectomy a month before my 30th birthday, am not on HRT, and have had a benign biopsy of the left breast back in '94.  My mother had a radical mastectomy at the age of 50.  Her first symptom was itchiness in the nipple, although she also had some scaling.  She had cancer of the milk glands as well as a cancerous lump.  I have been told that I am prone to polycystic mastitis, although I've never experienced the itching of the nipple before.  Is there cause to worry?