Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast pain in left breast and arm

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast pain in left breast and arm

A year ago i had a mamagram and ultra sound done on my right breast. They found three cysts. small in size and one was located at upper quadrant. They were VERY PAINFUL and the report came back probable benign. I was told to come back in  6 months but came back in three and two cysts has dissapeared with the upper quadrant one still there. This radiologist and doctor said the same thing as before.

My left breast when having this mamagram back last June came back with no problems. This past December, I was noticing a very tender area in my breast. It felt like same feeling as my other breast when I found out I had a cyst. Then the pain has gotten more worse and intense and i saw a doctor back in february and she felt it was a cyst and did not want to do another mamagram so soon. Well, this pain has moved to my upper quadrant area and now down my arm. My arm feels stiff and it is sore under my arm. The doctor checked my underarm for any lumps and said she did not feel anything. I have made a appointment with every woman matters program for this week, but am afraid because I was told it is not a good thing when your arm is involved with pain in your breast. My joints feel a bit stiff as well. My fathers sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 72, they found a lump under her arm after her arm swelled up and his mother also died of breast cancer at age 72.

I have not had any children and am 42 years old. I have endometriosis as well. Just feeling a bit fretful right now..

Thanks,

Cherel  P.S I don't feel any lumps
Dear Cherel:  There are many possible explanations for breast pain.  Most of then are not related to cancer.  Likewise, arm pain can be caused by many things and may or may not be related to your breast pain.  The best way to sort this out is to have a thorough examination by a physician who can review your history and films and make the best recommendation based on those findings.
I too had pain in my left breast quite a while before I was diagnosed with invasive Br.ca.  I know they say that pain is not associated with Br.ca. but in my case I know that it was a warning sign that something was not right there.  I ignored the pain, did not find the cancer until I had my yearly mammogram a year later,it had already become invasive in a years time.  It was exactly in the same area that I was having the pain in. It was a burning nagging pain.. So I don't believe that you should always go by the notion that there is no pain with cancer.  Anywhere in your body.  One time I was having a feeling of swelling under my arm, and I know now that, that also was a signal I should have listened to.  People should listen to their bodies when they say PAIN, it sometimes is connected to more serious conditions.  Like that inervoice that tries to warn us about other things that might harm us.  I totally believe in that.  Anyway,  Goodluck to you.

jodiegirl
Jodiegirl ... did you have any other symptoms besides the pain?  How long did you feel this bee you found out what it was ?

Thanks ... I hope you are doing ok !!

Debbie
A related discussion, Pain was started.
A related discussion, hi cherel was started.
A related discussion, Pain was started.
A related discussion, Left-breast pain was started.