Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast problem in teen

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast problem in teen

My daughter is 15. She started having stabbing pain in the right breast six days ago (Thursday) and discovered a lump. Two days later (Saturday), she had quite a bit of blood coming from her nipple.  It was not milky, but red, but it did have an odor to it. She was told that it was an infection and was told to stay on the antibiotics that she was already taking for an ear infection.  The bleeding went on for another day and 1/2.  
On Monday evening, she started vomiting and did so all night until about midnight. She has since complained of chills, and body aches. She had a sonogram this morning and they said that they saw no lumps in the breasts, or cysts. She said that she still feels it, but it feels smaller. This is all only in the right breast.

The dr said that her white counts are normal.
She insists that she is not sexually active, so there is no way that she is pregnant.

Is there any thing else I can check for?

Thank you so much.
Dear J1972:  Bloody nipple discharge is not a normal finding but can occur for a variety of reasons, including infection, papilloma, and cancer.  Breast cancer in a 15 year old is extremely unlikely.  If the bloody discharge and lump are still present, you might have her evaluated by a medical breast specialist (often affiliated with large medical centers) who can determine what additional testing should be done to help determine the source of her problems.  
A friends 13 year old daughter has cysts in both her breasts, she is very scared that it may be breast cancer and I've tried to explain that it is very uncommon and that they need to continue testing to determine what has caused them and what their alternatives are.  The daughter has recently(past 4 mos.) been on a very strict diet due to high cholesterol and does not consume soft drinks or chocolates for the same reason. Could you please refer me to a web page that deals with teens with cysts.
A related discussion, breast cancer was started.
A related discussion, Breast Rash was started.