Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast specialist?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast specialist?
I'm 29, and I went off the pill a couple months ago and noticed a small moveable lump in my breast, next to the nipple, about the same time. After a breast exam, my ob/gyn told me it was probably a cyst but that I could get an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed it was a cyst - actually three cysts. My doctor's office has recommended that I go see a breast specialist. I have a strong family history. But - if I just have cystic breasts, why do I need to see a specialist? And my ob/gyn said there's nothing to worry about. Can cysts signal danger? When I got the ultrasound, I was premenstrual, so I'm not surprised that my breasts looked cystic. Please advise on the necessity of seeing a specialist. Thanks!
Dear starlight:  Your doctor may have recommended a specialist for two reasons.  One, your family history; and two, as a way of relieving any worry you may have.  If you are comfortable with the results of the ultrasound, then I would recommend you ask your doctor the rationale for the referral to a specialist to be sure he had no other reason.
Go to the specialist. My wife had ultrasound and was told she probably had a fluid filled cyst. They did a needle biopsy and found that this was not the case but the movable lump had cells that looked suspicious. Today they told us that she has a grade III tumor that is lymphatic invasive.
A related discussion, two cyst in left breast was started.
A related discussion, What is up with these tests was started.