breast specialist?
I'm 29, and I went off the pill a couple months ago and noticed a small moveable lump in my breast, next to the nipple, about the same time. After a breast exam, my ob/gyn told me it was probably a cyst but that I could get an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed it was a cyst - actually three cysts. My doctor's office has recommended that I go see a breast specialist. I have a strong family history. But - if I just have cystic breasts, why do I need to see a specialist? And my ob/gyn said there's nothing to worry about. Can cysts signal danger? When I got the ultrasound, I was premenstrual, so I'm not surprised that my breasts looked cystic. Please advise on the necessity of seeing a specialist. Thanks!
Dear starlight:  Your doctor may have recommended a specialist for two reasons.  One, your family history; and two, as a way of relieving any worry you may have.  If you are comfortable with the results of the ultrasound, then I would recommend you ask your doctor the rationale for the referral to a specialist to be sure he had no other reason.
Go to the specialist. My wife had ultrasound and was told she probably had a fluid filled cyst. They did a needle biopsy and found that this was not the case but the movable lump had cells that looked suspicious. Today they told us that she has a grade III tumor that is lymphatic invasive.
A related discussion, two cyst in left breast was started.
A related discussion, What is up with these tests was started.