Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast tenderness and night sweats

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast tenderness and night sweats

I'm 34 years old and I'm having continued breast tenderness since my last period. This is unusual for me. They felt really tender and swollen a good 2 weeks before my period as well. I also wake up often during the night with a thick, almost oily-like sweat between my breasts. I'm not taking the pill. I've never had a mammogram. I've attempted self breast exams but, nothing really stands out as a lump. My nipples did become really chapped recently, but I thought it was probably due to the dry climate and winter in Colorado.

My Mom has had trouble with breast cysts in the past and I didn't know if there could be a hereditary connection there.

Thank you for any information or suggestions you may have.

Dear slm, Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.

Discuss your symptoms with your physician.  Breast pain is evaluated based on the history of the pain you would give to the health care professional, as well as a physical examination.  The need for further testing would be determined based on the above findings.  Some recommendations for treatment of breast pain involve simple comfort measures such as a supportive or exercise bra, or application of warm or cold packs.  Caffeine avoidance, limit salt intake and reduction of dietary fat may also help.