Breast Cancer Community
breast warts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

breast warts

i was recently told that there was something seen on my mammogram that was not there last year.  i am 49 years old.  i had a repeat and then an ultrasound.  informed by my MD that i needed to have a needle guided ultrasound biopsy.  results came back as a benign breast wart.  i called the MD to get these results and they state that people do not get them removed unless they become bothersome?  through my 1 day research, it appears that most sites promote removal? confused.

This discussion is related to Intraductal papilloma.
1 Comment
The excision of papillomas is the standard of care and the majority of these wart like growth on the lining of the duct are benign in nature and there is no direct indication that they will grow back.The primary reason for removing the papilloma,(even if benign) is to make sure that cancer or pre-cancerous cells are not "hiding". So, the full pathology exam is the only and best way to make certain no malignant cells are present.
Please call your doctor to discuss surgery option so that the papilloma can be permanently gone. It is a minor operation and you shouldn't worry about it.
Best wishes and good luck!