Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breastcancer stage 4

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breastcancer stage 4

My mom was diagnosed 2 days ago with stage 4 breastcancer. Scans show that the cancer has spread over the pelvic area and is in her ribs.My question is how long do we have her for? I know there is no definate time but there has to be somway to know from the time her pain has started and the diagnosis to the time of death.Maybe just an estimated time.
Dear Terrie35:  There is no way via the internet that we can speculate on how long your mother is likely to live.  Stage 4 cancer means that it is generally not curable but does not mean that it is not treatable.  Prognosis will depend on her general health, how her body and disease responds to treatment, etc.  Some women with advanced breast cancer can live for years.  This is best discussed with her oncologist who can answer in the context of your mother's situation.  Even then, prognosis is only a best guess and may be way off.