Breast Cancer Expert Forum
c4 suspicious cells
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

c4 suspicious cells

My Mother has a mastectomy 30 years ago and has just found a lump under her scar in her armpit. A fine needle aspiration biopsy shows c4 suspicious cells. I've read that these are almost definitely malignant. She is going to have the lump removed next Monday. We are all shell shocked in our family that this has happened again after so long. Does anyone have a similar experience?
Related Discussions
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear Jevs2,  Some centers will assign ratings to biopsy results of fine needle aspirations a scale from 1-5.  One meaning inadequate cells to diagnose , two meaning benign (non-cancerous) to five meaning malignant (cancer cells found in the sample).  A C4 rating is "suspicious" for malignancy, and more tissue is likely needed to be sure of what this is, it doesn't mean a definite diagnosis of cancer.      

It is possible for a cancer to come back even after many years, and a previous diagnosis of cancer is a risk factor  for cancer to develop again in one's lifetime.  
2 Comments
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
No personal experience but time means nothing to "cancer". We are never really "home free" so to speak and should always remain vigilant and keep up with exams and screenings. Suspicious doesn't always mean cancer and I hope this will be true in your Mother's case. Kindest regards .....
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank