Breast Cancer Expert Forum
calcification
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

calcification

I've been to so many we cites excuse me if i asked this already. I'm having surgery on Friday for cacification in lef breasr. If Its positive is cacification considered arly stage??
Related Discussions
242527_tn?1292452740
Dear charliegirl4:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue and these are normal. Microcalcifications in and of themselves are not a condition that would become cancerous.  However they can be a sign of a problem that may need further investigation based on their appearance on a mammogram.  For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause and microcalcificatins that form a cluster may increase concern that there may be an underlying tumor.  Microcalcifications that are indeterminate may need further investigation such as a diagnostic mammogram to further characterize the calcifications.  Calcifications do not move around but more may form over time.  The pattern of their formation lends clues as to whether or not more investigation is needed.  A biopsy will help determine if these calcifications are associated with a cancer.  A biopsy is not enough information to determine stage.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank