Breast Cancer Expert Forum
calcifications and mucin

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

calcifications and mucin

I am 48 years old. 3 weeks ago I received results from a mammogram which showed a cluster of calcifications. The radiologist said the results were indeterminate, and wanted me to have a biopsy. They performed a Mammatone biopsy, removing the calcifications. The results were benign, and I was told I did not need to do anything further. Last week I received a call, telling me that they have an amended report on the biopsy. Mucin was detected in the sample taken, even though everything was benign,and they are now telling me that I need to have surgery to have the tissue in this whole area removed. I was told that Mucin is a thick fluid that is usually present when there is cancer. I am really besides myself, and don't know what to do or make of this. My regular OB/GYN has never heard of this, and there is very little I can find on this on the internet, and frankly anything about the topic Mucin seems to scare the daylights out of me. Can you explain this to me, and also let me know if this surgery is necessary, or just extreme caution and overkill on the part of the radiologist and breast doctor?
Dear pepa:  There is a form of malignancy that can secrete excess mucin.  Although mucin can be secreted from some normal cells, the doctors likely want to be certain that in taking only a small core biopsy, that the biopsy did not "miss" an area of concern.  By removing the entire area, the whole thing can be analyzed pathologically, making sure that nothing is overlooked.
If you have Adobe, here is a link that explains the mucin marker.  

http://www.unitedbiotech.com/package_inserts/cm/CM701.pdf#search='mucin%20breast%20cancer'