Breast Cancer Expert Forum
calcifications and prolactinomas

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

calcifications and prolactinomas

I am 45 and just had my yearly mammogram. The radiologist wants to take another view because there were calcifications on my left breast. The report to my gyno. didn't say anything more than that so she just said the radiologist would know more with a second mammogram. I have a prolactinoma and am just recently being treated for it. FYI I nursed my kids for a long time. Question: Do milk secretions have anything to do with calcifications? I have read that sometimes calcifications in premenopausal women indicated early cancer.Shoudl I be worried?
Dear nymom62:  Calcifications are normal growths that are found in breast tissue as we age.  Calcifications that are dispersed are generally thought to be benign. Calcifications that are clustered raise concern that they could be forming around a small cancer.  Calcifications that are in between are considered indeterminate.  Once a cluster of microcalcifications has been identified, a magnification view mammogram is commonly done to further characterize this finding.  If the cluster is still apparent, a biopsy will likely be recommended.  Prolactinomas commonly cause breast discharge but do not generally cause calcifications.
Thanks for the information.  I don't know if the calcifications were clustered (the hospital receptionist just said the radiologist wants another "view"), but since the radiologist  ordered another mammogram and my gyno says to do it, I am having one next week. I am a little freaked out about all this.   I have no cancers at all in my family, I breastfed my kids, and I had them young.  I don't seem to fit risk factors.
A very high percentage of calcifications turn out to be benign. But, you won't know unless you have a biopsy. I agree that it is stressful to go through this. The magnifications might indicate they are probably benign, meaning they will just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't change, or it may indicate that they are suspicious. I agree that it is stressful to go through this. I've had 2 biopsies for suspicious looking calcifications (birad 4) that turned out benign. Just the thought of cancer freaks most of us out. Even if it turns out to be cancer, calcifications usually indicate a very early, treatable cancer. Actually, it's much more likely a biopsy will be benign.
I went for the diagnostic mammo for the microcalcifications in my left breast. The radiologist showed me the spots which he thought looked "coarse" and he said they are most likely benign and would just recommend a six month follow up.   He said this is "what he would tell his wife or mother." I left feeling relieved and figured I 'd follow his recommendation. My gynocologist and gen practicitioner both got the report and both said  they "would absolutley not  wait 6 months", and my gyno referred me to a breast specialist/surgeon, and that perhaps it calls for a biopsy. I am seeing the breast surgeon Monday, but I am now a little freaked. I thought BIRAd 3 mammos were just "watched." Is my gyno being tooo conservative? Do I realistic worries?
wow you sound like me! my r breast has 3 microcalcifications and the radiologist said exactly the same thing! i am going to a comprehensive breast center 4/11, (on crutches as i am having foot surgury the week before) just curious, ny62 new york, born in 62? i am a former buffalonian born in 59, just curious. i wish you good luck! do you want to correspond and let me know? thanks cindi  (***@****)

Going to the specialist on Monday, 3/31. Will keep you posted. Btw, born in NYC!
It's always a good idea to see a breast specialist to get another opinion. Since it's rated birad 3, there's a good chance the specialist will have you come back regularly to have the calcifications checked. But, there is a chance the specialist will not agree with the birad rating and want a biopsy. Remember, what they're seeing is on the low end of suspicious. You'll feel better after getting it checked out, though.