Breast Cancer Expert Forum
calcifications in clusters wire localization couldn't be done
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

calcifications in clusters wire localization couldn't be done

I had a mammogram in Oct. of 2000. I was 50 years old then. I was told to contact a surgeon because micro calcifications were seen in my left breast in clusters near my nipple.  I was scheduled for a wire localization a few days after meeting with the surgeon. I was in x-ray for over 1 1/2 hours. They could not get a good enough picture to put the wire in because the calcifications were so small and could only be seen under magnification. The radiologist said he could not put the wire in under magnification. I was sent home. They have been watching the calcifications since then every 6 months. I just went for another mammogram and had an appointment with the surgeon today he said the calcifications were near the nipple and other than that the mammogram was normal no change, he said I also have calcifications in my right breast. I want to know since they are by the nipple could this be Ductal Carcinoma in sitsu? I worry everyday because they are still there and wonder if they will or are turning into cancer. The surgeon said that they weren't following a pattern that would suggest cancer. It really worries me that they are by the nipple area and nothing can be done to see if this is cancer. Since there hasn't been any change in 2 years is there still a chance that this will become something? The surgeon still wants me to see him every year. If he didn't thnk this would turn into anything why do I have to see him every year. Please help It really frightens me. Sorry for such a long letter.