Breast Cancer Community
can a biopsy be wrong /

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

can a biopsy be wrong /

I had a mammogram done and they found something. So I went for an second mammogram and ultrasound. The doctor reading the ultrasound said it was not a cyst and then scared me by saying they had caught it in time. I had a biopsy and it came back normal. But now my doctor wants me to go for a second opinion. He feels that because the asymmetrical mass is small that maybe the radiologist missed it and only got the surrounding tissue. She had a hard time during the needle biopsy and had to switch to a vacuum method (not sure what that means). It's been 2 weeks since this started I 'm sacred . Can a biopsy be wrong?
The only way a biopsy could be "wrong" would be if the area that was biopsied was not the area of concern and then you couldn't say that it was wrong; just that tissue from the area in question was not a part of the sample taken. As a rule with small areas the biopsy is done with some type of guidance such as Ultrasound or Mammography. By a second opinion I'm not sure exactly what your Dr. means ... another biopsy ??, more fims ? or just another consultation. It sounds like an appointment with a Breast Specialist might be a good idea at this point. You state that "something" was found when you had your Mammogram; just because it was determined NOT to be a cyst doesn't mean that it is cancer. You might also ask for a copy of the reports (Mammogram & Ultrasound) and have your Dr. go over them with you in detail. Regards ....
If the situation is not thought to be serious and as the mass is very small, ask you doctor if it is possible to wait a couple of months to see if the mass grows.
I suggest that you proceed with the appointment with a Breast Specialist now ... it often takes some time to get an appointment so the sooner you request one the sooner you will know more about this questionable area and thus put your mind at ease. It's been my experience that waiting NEVER solved anything. Keep us posted please .....
I went to the breast surgeon. she is concerned that they missed the spot because the clip to mark the biopsied area is way off. So I am scheduled  to have a surgical biopsy next week. They are being very cautious but i wish they would watch their choice of words. Like the nurse told me to bring someone with me when I come back for the results. What are they expecting to tell me. They are scaring me. I saw my file when the best surgeon was reading it and my original doctor and written highly suspicious   for malignancy . And they way he was acting calling me before the results were in the first time to set up an appointment to discuss my options. They have really sacred me. I have two kids and no family in this country. here's hoping for the best.
His concern and your reaction are both normal. When I had my ultrasound and they found a black mass with tentacles, the radiologist spent 20 minutes explaining that whatever it was (he never said cancer) didn't belong there and that in all good conscience he couldn't let me leave without understanding just how important it was that I got a biopsy done asap. I did have stage 3 cancer. I've been through surgeries, chemo, radiation and reconstruction all followed by recovery. I'm doing well and in my 4th year of recovery. I knew when I left his office that I had cancer because of his urgency. You're worried, that's normal. Whatever comes your way, you can do this. ok? :)
Just to add a short comment about you taking someone with you when you get the results ..... we tend to think way ahead of what is being said when we have such concerns .... actually you are doing this already and in a stressful situation we are very likely NOT to hear everything that is being said. Two sets of ears is the best way to go when it comes to things like this. What the DR.s are doing or the way they are acting tells me that you are receiving excellent medical care. Like Sue said ... however this turns out you'll be able to handle it; we are all proof of this.  Take care ....