Breast Cancer Expert Forum
can adenomas be cancerous

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

can adenomas be cancerous

I did a self breast exam a couple of months ago and found a knot on my left breast which came as no surprise because I have had 2 other surgeries to remove fibroid adenomas.  I went to have an ultra sound done and of course now have to go back for a biopsy.  I now have discovered that I have a small knot on my right breast as well and it is pretty tender (my left side is not).  Since I have fibroadenoma I'm not really worried but I was wondering does that leave me at greater risk to have breast cancer or should I just assume that when I get knots that they will be fibroid adenomas.  I am 24 years old by the way and have been experiencing these type of knots since high school (that was when the first knot appeared and I had my first surgery) I am trying to educate myself about this disease since it is something that keeps occuring so any info will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Dear Rae422:  A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) growth. Fibrooadenomas are distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound and when aspirated - no fluid comes out. As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove the lump. In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years. In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years. In teenagers - the tendency is not to remove fibroadenomas. In middle age women, the tendency is to remove the fibroadenomas to be sure they are, in fact, fibroadenomas.  So depending on the individual situation, putting the findings in context, a suspected fibroadenoma might be biopsied to be sure of what it is. An ultrasound cannot always make a diagnosis of fibroadenoma with certainty.

The long term risk of breast cancer is only very slightly increased in women who have fibroadenomas.  The risk is slightly more significant when combined with other risk factors such as family history of breast cancer.
I am almost 62 years old and since the age of 25 I have had seven benign breast biopsies.  I became known as "the woman who develops fibroadenomas".  DO NOT ASSUME any new lump will be a fibroadenoma (benign lesion).  Luckily I was extremely vigilant - never missed an exam or a mammogram and, unfortunately at age 58, the eighth biopsy was positive for breast cancer.  But, because I was always on top of things, it was caught early and 4-1/2 years later I am still doing very well.  Breast cancer is no longer a death sentence.  
Only a VERY slight increase in risk for Breast Cancer in women with a history of adenomas. They are usually removed though they cause no real trouble but most women are not comfortable leaving a mass in the breast; untreated. In time, but rarely come cancer cells might be found in an adenoma. The most important issue is ... NEVER assume that a new lump is an adenoma .... EVERY new finding in the breast should be investigated to find it's cause. Nothing new should ever be ignored.  Regards ......
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!
I found your answer very helpful and thanks for letting me know that no matter how many new lumps may arise that I should get them looked into, because that was something I was wondering.  I didn't know if I should just assume because I have had these before that any lump I get would be an adenoma.  Thanks for all of the information, it was very helpful!