Breast Cancer Community
can it be cancer??!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

can it be cancer??!!!

Hello, I'm 41 and had my 1st mammogram on 05/10. I was called back for spot compression and ultrasound, which is scheduled for nex Thursday. The report sais "There is an area of architectural distortion - assimetric breast tissue. Location - posterior left breast in the 2 o'clock region". When i examine my breast i can fill something solid inside and also it is painfull (and it was really painfull during the mammogram). I'm going crazy - can it be cancer??!!!
Anything is possible but I doubt that this might be cancer. It isn't unusual to be called back for additional films, especially after a first screening mammogram when there are no films for comparison. Often these areas will disappear on spot compression ..... they can be only some breast tissue that has folded over on itself and will smooth out on compression views. You may be feeling a lumpiness within your breast tissue which also isn't unusual. I think you need to calm down and just take things one step at a time; worrying isn't going to help anything. Regards .....
Thanks a lot for your answer! Its really hard not to panic, but hopefully you're right and it is just some folded tissue.
My mother recently had a mammogram too because she had a painful lump in her breast.  Naturally I became worried, but I began reading on different websites and they said that the majority of the time when a woman has cancer they have PAINLESS lumps.  Once I saw that I was relieved a little, because it said that it may be benign or fibrocystic breast disorder.  Since you are having pain, that is probably a good sign that it isn't cancer.  Hope I helped at least a little.  Feel better.
Thank you rr1989,
I really hope it was just unclear x-ray, but the fear is still there. I'll keep you posted.
Had my "spot compression" and ultrasound today. US technitian said she didn't see anything. Spot compression report will be sent to my doctor whithin 10 days. I'm a little releived now, but still worried :(
my GYN office called me saying they have a preliminary report from spo compression and said i have to go for MRI and biopsy. When I asked what is there in the report the lady said that she can't tell me. now i'm waiting till wednesday to schedule all the procedures. should i find a breast surgeon for the biopsy? what about mri - should i go to any radiology or should i look for the place that specializes in breast radiology(if there is such a place)? And WHAT could be in this preliminary report???? Please answer - i'm soooo scared and confused!!!
That is true, you should not be given report information over the phone by anyone other than your Physician. I would look for a Breast Surgeon for your biopsy if one is available; the MRI could certainly be done at any hospital but I would think best done where you had your Mammogram and Ultrasound. It's always better to have all your films in one place if possible. Evidently whatever was seen on the first Mammogram did not disappear on the spot compression and therefore left a question as to what it might be .... hence the recommendation for biopsy. This is always the safest way to go when there is even the slightest question as to what is seen on film. In reality a biopsy is the ONLY way to know the true nature of any finding on film. Stay calm now and take this one step at a time and keep us posted, OK ??   Regards ....
You already have your mammogram, now you need to have an MRI. Once you have both get a second opinion from a Breast Specialist before any proceedures. Once you are over that second opinion and only if necessary ask the Breast Specialist to refer you to a Breast Surgeon for the Biopsy. There are several types of biopsies so make sure the breast Specialist tells you and informs the surgeon what kind of a biopsy you are to have.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for your responses. I'm expecting a call from my GYN office by Wednesday. I'll definetely let you know how its going. Yes, its better to take one step at atime and stay calm unles I hear bad news. Another question I have - is there a difference between breast specialist and breast sugeon (i thought that would be the same doctor) and what is the best way to look for one you can trust? I live in NYC, may be I should go to Sloan Catering hospital (specializing in any kind of cancer) or its too early to go there?

Thanks again! I'm so happy i found this site!
It is definitely good to take baby steps, rushing is not going to change whatever the results will be, take it easy and don't stress yourself.

As far as I know and when I had to look for my oncologists, I was told by my friend a chemotherapist to look for a breast specialist because they are precisely specialized in soft tissue but the ones I met were not breast surgeons/mastologists so I had two oncologists as mentioned.

It would be a good idea to go to  Sloan Catering Hospital I have heard very good comments regarding their doctors and experience. Once you have your mammogram and your MRI, then get an appointment with a breast specialist at Sloan Catering Hospital remember he is to tell you what kind of a biopsy you are to have and to refer you to a good surgeon specially if you are to have a surgical/open biopsy, if you need a needle biopsy or similar ones the specialist will know who to refer you to. It will not be early to see them if you have the mammo and MRI them simply get your appointment as soon as possible so you will have some peace of mind.

Please let us know how you are doing and how your procedures are going and specially what your pathology report says.

Good luck and again take it easy.

Regards  
Hi Marylou, thanks again for your support and the answers. At this point I need as much info as possible to understand in details whats going on and what to expect. I'm going for Breast MRI today and will let you know what the result is. Got my spot compression and US report yesterday. Here it is:
FINDINGS:
Spot compression views the left upper outer breast demonstrate island of dense breast parenchyma associated with parenchymal distortion. No suspicious calcifications are noted. Directed US to the area of concern reveals hypoechoic vaguely defined area without significant posterior shadowing or discrete nodularity. Periphereal vascularity is seen on color Doppler examination.
IMPRESSION:
1. Ill-defined hypoechoic area of parenchymal distortion and assymetry in the left upper outer breast. Developing neoplasm is suspected. Tisuse sampling by means of vacuum assisted core biopsy is strongly recommended. MRI of the breast with gadolinium should be considered prior to intervention.
2. BI-RADS 4C: Suspicious findings.

I understand that this result is not good, but still ONLY biopsy can tell me if it is cancer. Do you by any chance know any statistics for BIRADS 4C "fales positive" findings? My son is 21 now, when I was breastfeeding him I had inflamation (inflammation) in the left breast - can it be the reason of the findings? Should I go for second opinion before doing the biopsy or should I do the biopsy ASAP?
I really appriciate any input and info!
Thanks again for the support - I really really need it right now!
I don't think a second opinion is needed at this point, lana, as they are still testing you, and with yout scans so far the next step that is really indicated is that biopsy.
No question about it.

It's not the same as when you were breastfeeding. This could very well be cancer, but then it said a 'newly developing one'?

The worst part is not knowing anything and that is what causes the fear. Once you find out, no matter which way, you will feel a lot better.

I am sorry that you have to go through all this, but should the news be not what you wanted, you wilol still be able to handle the reality of no matter what is going on/not going on.  KAT

Kat,
Thanks a lot! I scheduled an appointment with breast surgeon on 06/30. I'll keep you informed.

Thank you for your support! God bless
Hi, Lana,
I just wanted to add my good wishes to you. I think the waiting for appointments and results is truly the worst part of this whole process. Please try to stay calm (easier
said than done, I know) and busy so you don't dwell on it. Pamper yourself a little and
try to do some "fun" things for yourself that will help the time go by faster. You sound like a strong, positive person, so use that to help you through the wait. Please feel free to come here any time for support. We've all been through this and there are many wonderful women here. I came here after my third biopsy that found LCIS, and I'm so
glad I found this site.
Sending you best wishes and a big hug (      ),
nc
Sorry I did not answer before but I have not been well. I am so glad that KAT answered, she is well versed and knows what she is talking about, I happen to agree with her. Unfortunately a biopsy is the next step, you have advanced in your testing so a second opinion right now will not be of much help, a second opinion is best when you are diagnosed not after. You have been lucky for the biopsy type you got, it is a very small incision and stitches are not required. I will leave you a link so you can read how the procedure is done make sure the person who does the biopsy has the necessary experience.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=90348

I would have felt much better if your MRI with gadolinium had not happened but it is done and nothing can be changed. Never the less have your kidneys checked once you are done with the breast issue and be alert if you have any kidney or urinating issues, if you do go to a doctor ASAP.

You wanted to know about BIRADS, enclosed is a link:
http://www.birads.at/kategorien.html

I sincerely hope your biopsy will be fine and that it won't be more than a scare, believe me that biopsies are to make sure there is nothing malignant in your breast.

Take care and blessings.
Just wanted to thank you both for warm words and very helpfull info.  I had my MRI on 06/16, don't have a detailed report yet, but preliinary report is not good :(. Now I'm scheduled for biopsy on 06/23. I'm really scared of pain. Do you by any chance know if I can take any sedative medicine before that or can I ask a doctor for it? I understand that they'll use local anestesia, but I'm afaraid even of this ledocoine shot.   Any thoughts?

Thank you!!!!  
Please, NEVER take anything until you ck. with the Dr. who will be doing the procedure. Certainly you may ask for some type of sedation if you think it will be necessary but it is VERY important that you take only what the Dr. prescribes. Best of luck with your biopsy on Wednesday.    
Hey All,
Yesterday had my core biopsy. It was not painfull at all. I don't know why I was so scared. Now a little more waiting.
Got my MRI report as well. Here what it sais.:
FINDINGS:
The breast parenchyma is heterogeneously dense. There is an ill-defined, asymmetric area of parenchymal enchancement extending from the mid to the posterior plane of the left breast measuring 5.9x2.4x4.2 cm. This is corresponding to mammographycally and sonographycally evident abnormality. In the right central breast approximately 9 o'clock position, there is a 7 mm suspiciously enchancing nodule in addition to 5 mm nodule in the same area at 12 o'clock axis. There is no internal mamillary or axillary lymphadenopathy seen. However, the last one cannot be entirely excluded.

IMPRESSION:
1. Most likely bilateral multifocal breast cancer involving upper outer quadrant of the left breast extending from the mid to posterior plane, 2 suspicious nodules in the right breast.
2. BI-RADS 5: Highly suspicious for malignancy

Any thoughts???!!!
Only to await the biopsy results and proceed from there. MRI is very sensitive and can on occasion show a false positive but I would be planning to get that biopsy report ASAP and if necessary make an appointment with a Breast Surgeon as well as an Oncologist in order to attack the problem as soon as possible. If any opinion leaves you with questions then by all means seek a second opinion so that you are completely comfortable with the answers you receive.  Keep us posted please .....   Kindest regards ....
Well, lana, it doesn't sound good after all, right?

What I wanted to advise is that with help and referrals, you try to get the very best surgeon available to you, as the quality, skill, knowledge and experience  of the surgeon will probably make the biggest difference in directing you towards the very best outcome of your treatment.

In my case I was first referred to a general surgeon and then the PCP I had seen first, and not my regular doctor, scratched him and cancelled the appointment that had been made for me a few weeks later. He instead called a breast cancer surgeon who was willing to fit me in the next day.

The surgeon was great, and did the biopsy right then and there, and scheduled me to see a really good oncologist as he was 99% sure what the outcome of the biopsy would be and he was right.

Please keep us up to date. Whatever it turns out to be, you can do it, with support.

KAT
PS: And it may still be malignant as it is unusual for both breasts to be affected, and there are often false positives with MRI, and  then it is also unusual for bc to be painful? KAT
PPS: I meant not malignant, sorry.
Thank you so so so much for everything!!!!! OMG the result of the biopsy is B9!!!!!!!! I still can't beleive it!!! It sais Adenosis tumor with sclerosing adenosis and elastosis. I'm not sure what's next, but I'm so happy!!!!

Thank you again!!!!!
My Radiologist called me yesterday. She congratulated me with B9 biopsy results, bust said that she is still concerned (??!!). She said that I must go to the breast surgeon, because what she sees on US and MRI doesn't correspond with the biopsy (??!!). Also she said that I have to check (biopsy) my other breast. She said that she is concerned that cancer might be missed.

Now I'm totally confused!!!! I thought that biopsy is the only way to find out if tumor is benign or malignant. i thought if biopsy result is b9, you can relax and live your life. But in reality i have to continue going to the doctors and do other tests. Is it possible that biopsy is fales-negative. And if yes, is there any test that can say for sure???

Thank you All! And best wishes!
Hi Lana I bet you are confused! as I said before, the worse is the unknown, and I would be totally stressed as well if I were you.

When a biopsy comes back positive, then you definitely have cancer. but like in your case, when it comes back negative and other tests that led up to the biopsy were suspicious, then it takes a really good doctor like yours to not be entirely trusting of, and satisfied with the results, no matter what.

Your biopsy only sampled a small amount of tissue, and not all of the breast which could mean that another biopsy in a different place have different results.

And from the report you ahowed ua earlier, I was also worried about you and the diagnosis.

Not all cancers are limited to one tumor. Some kinds , like mine for example, grow in nests/sheets.

MRI has many false positives, but in my case it was false negative.

To answer your question, when a test is 'positive', that is usually a pretty good sign that you have cancer, but  no test will guarantee that cancer is picked up, as no test is flawless, and it usually takes several tests to show different things. i recently read an article that told that quite a few biopsies 'miss the point'.

Lana, I am sorry you got the feedback you did, first so good, and then so doubtful again.

Please let us know? Take care, KATRIN
Hi KATRIN,
I have an appintment in Sloan Kettering Breast Cancer Center on 07/07. I'm trying not to stress myself out because of the confusion. Good thing is that cancer is not confirmed. But I'll definitely do everything that is needed, all the tests and procedures that breast surgeon decides are necessary. I'll take 1 step at a time and each time will hope for the best, but ready for the worst...

Wish you happy 4th of July.
I'll keep you posted.
Thank you!!!!!!
Lana
Went to Sloan Kettering yesterday. Breast surgeon reviewed all the films and reports, did physical exam. He sais that he thinks that I have cancer in my left breast and my right breast is fine. He wants to repeat all the tests - US, MRI and biopsy. US was done yesterday - the radiologist looked at it rightaway and she didn't like what she saw. She wants to re-biopsy ASAP. What I don't understand is why do they want to repeat core biopsy and not the incisional biopsy? If there is a chance that core biopsy can miss cancer (if sample is taken from the wrong place, actually that is what they think happened) and I'm purfectly fine to do surgical biopsy - why do they still insist on core biopsy???? It has been over a month now and I'm still were I was in the beginning. It is so stressfull!!!!!
I have read that cancer lumps can be painless or painful.  You just need to have it checked out.
Here I am back again. Had US of left breast and MRI of both.
Here are the reports:
US findings:
At the 2:00 axis, 7 cm in the nipple , there is an ill-defined hypoechoic 1.3x1.3x1.1 cm mass with angulated margins. BI-RADS 4. Wide surgical excision is recommended.

MRI:

Left breast - at 3:00 axis, there is an irregular area of nonmasslike clumped enhancements 5 X 3.4 cm. BI-RADS 5. No lymphodenopathy is present.

Right breast - at 12:00 there are 2 masses mesuring 8mm and 4mm. In addition 3.4 cm inferiorly in central, middle third depth, there is a 1.4 cm of linear clumped nonmasslike area of enhancement with adjucent 6mm mass. BI-RADS 4.

Now I'm scheduled for MR guided biopsy of my right breast. And, then surgical biopsy of my left breast.

I'm reading these reports over and over and they totally do't make sence to me. Can you please explain what was found in normal laguage?
I'm soo tired of waiting and guessing and hoping...............
Wow, you have been dealing with uncertainty for a long time now! I'm sorry that the latest news you have received is not more favorable.

In a nutshell: The lesion in your left breast was rated as a BI-RADS 4 based on the ultrasound, but was upgraded to a BI-RADS 5 after the MRI. The lesion in the right breast was rated as a BI-RADS 4.

This is a brief description of BI-RADS 4 and 5:

Category 4 -- Possibly Malignant
There are some suspicious lesions, masses, or calcifications to report; a biopsy is recommended to check the suspicious area.

Category 5 -- Malignant
There are masses with an appearance of cancer. A biopsy is recommended to make an accurate diagnosis.

The final answer for each lesion can only be know for certain after the pathology reports come back. However, the lesion in the left breast has a high level of suspicion for being cancerous, and is therefore scheduled for excision. The nature of the right breast lesion is still uncertain, so it is scheduled just for a biopsy at this time.

Best wishes...

Hi All,
Went to MR Guided biopsy of my right breast on Monday 07/26. They did 3 incisions, it was a little painfull, but ok. Got a call from radiologist yesterday. He sais that they found atypia and hyperplasia in one of the sites and that it has to be surgically removed. I'm really happy that it is NOT CANCER. But at the same time I'm concerned - will they send removed tissue to biopsy again? Is it possible that they WILL find CANCER at that time, or I can finaly relax and live my normal life? Any information would be really appreciated. He didn't tell me, but as far as I understand it is ADH, he also mentioned something like "high grade??".....

Thank you ALL!!!
Hi again,

I'm glad to hear the biopsies of you right breast did not show cancer.
Yes, the additional tissue that is excised from your right breast will be sent to pathology. Any recommendations for additional tx will be made after that.

I'm a bit confused about your question, "Can I finally relax and live my normal life now?"
I understood that you were scheduled for surgical excision of an area  in your left breast that was rated BI-RADS 4 on US and as BI-RADS 5 following MRI. Has that been changed, or are the excisions of both breasts going to be done at the same time?

Best wishes...
Hi bluebutterfly,
Yes they are planning to do both excisions at the same time. What I meant is that I already had core biopsies of my left breast and my right breast. Left breast showed radial ssclerosing lesion and sclerosing adenosis, so they want to do surgical biopsy to make sure that there are no malignant cells there (but for now it is B9), right breast showed ADH, which is not perfect but still B9.

Now, I'm waiting for Monday to talk to my BS and schedule the surgeries.
Any thoughts or information on what's the chance of any of my breasts still have cancer?

Sorry for the confusion - I'm confused myself :)

THANK YOU MUCH!!!
Hi, Lana,
I'm sorry I don't have any statistics for the biopsies possibly being
false negatives. That's always a possibility I guess, but I'm hoping
the excisions go well and the final reports are also benign! I've had three
excisions of five different lesions and they really aren't that bad. Sore and bruised after, but nothing too terrible. I was sedated for each of
them and I was glad. I can take pain really well AFTER a procedure, but
I'm a wimp when it comes to being awake and having someone hurting me! It just really stresses me out.
If you're still going to Sloan Kettering, I'm sure you'll get excellent care.
Wishing you all the best and sending a hug,
nc
Oh, that is good news!  (I had missed the step where the left breast was also biopsied.)

It is a possiblility that some cancer cells could be found when the entire excised specimens are examined, but like ncmichigan, I haven't seen any stats about how often that's the case. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it.

Meanwhile, here is a link to a recent thread about ADH:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/atypical-ductal-hyperplasia/show/1301414

bb
Just an update - my surgery is scheduled for 08/24. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you ALL for the information and support!
Love
Lana
Good luck, Lana!
I know I speak for everyone here in wishing you all the best---easy
surgery, a speedy recovery and hoping for benign results!
Hugs,
nc
Thank you ((((  HUG )))))
Just an update.
Had bilateral excisional biopsy with wire localization last Tuesday. It was less painfull then I imagined and recovery is not bad at all :) Now I'm waiting for my follow-up appointment with BS, which will be 09/03.
I have a question now - can surgeon tell if the lump is breast cancer or not just by looking at it?
I'm asking because after the surgery my BS talked to my husband and said that the masses he removed looked B9 to him, but it still will be sent to the pathology lab.

And thank you ALL again for great answers and support!!!! (((  )))

Glad your surgery went better than you expected!

There are features of a lump suggesting higher or lower risk of malignancy, and an experienced surgeon often has a pretty good idea what s/he is dealing with. But, there is no way to know for CERTAIN until the path. exam is completed.

Best wishes for that B9 result!
Hi, Lana,
Thanks so much for the update! I've had a few needle locs and they were less scary than I expected too. Glad your surgery went well and recovery should be relatively quick
and easy. Bb is right---some surgeons can have a pretty good idea about the masses they remove, but only the path reposrt will be conclusive. My surgeon said he thought my lumps were fibroadenomas and they were, thank goodness, but they also found
LCIS. Think positively and be patient.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for benign results!
Hugs,
nc
Thank you!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed now and will let you know Friday!
I'm really thankfull - your answers halp so much!!!
(((HUG))
Hi lana99!
I am "been squished" I am the new kid on the block :) I jumped in here today for 1st time...
I believe my heading in in LIMBO LOL! After much reading don't we all know that one
I have learned alot following your thread.Will be looking for your newest update
The Best~
I got a call - B9 B9 B9 B9!!!!! WOHOOOO!!!!

Still can't beleive that Birads 5 can come back benign. I will get the report and talk to the doctor on Friday and will post the details.

Ladies thank you ALL very very much - you're so helpfull and supportive!!  

I am SOOOOO happy for you, Lana!!! After ALL you've been through, to end up with benign results is just fantastic and amazing! You're story should give hope to every
women out there waiting for results and hearing that voice in the back of their head
saying "what if?"  I'm sure with your ADH you'll be super vigilent with your testing.
That may mean more squishing, poking and prodding and some anxiety in the future, but for now just celebrate your life and enjoy each day you have!
Hugs,
nc
Hey lady, you made my day!!

I can only  imagine how it felt to be in limbo for almost 3 months, and I', so glad the long saga had a happy ending!

Warm regards,
bb
Here I am back again. I had lumpectomy almost 2 months ago. It came back negative. Now I'm having rib pain for about 3 weeks, I'm a little paranoyed - can it be related somehow? Should I go to the doctor? which doctor?

I'l really appreciate your responses!
Thanks!!!
I doubt that it is related to the breast issues, but it is always wise to check with your doctor if you have a new symptom that persists longer than a couple of weeks.

I would think starting with your PCP would be best, and let him/her decide if further eval. or referral is needed,  and if so, to whom would be most appropraite.

Best wishes..,
Hi, Lana,
I'd have to agree with bluebutterfly---I wouldn't think your rib pain is related to the breast issues you've had. Most often it's chest muscles or the rib cartilage that cause any pain.
Sometimes a hard sneeze can cause a strain and be painful for awhile. I used to do chest x-rays and the doctor would ask the patient, "When did you fracture your rib?" The patient would say, "I never fractured my rib" and the doc would say,"Yes, you did-it's on your x-ray." So it's possible to have a fractured rib and not even know it!
Try not to worry too much but follow up with your doctor if it doesn't improve in a short time. In the meantime, if you're not allergic, I'd try some non-steriodal anti-inflammatories like Aleve or Advil to see if that helps. Please let us know how you do.
Wishing you all the best,
nc