Breast Cancer Expert Forum
change from Taxol to abraxane
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

change from Taxol to abraxane

I have stage 4 breast cancer, reoccured after a 13 year interval, originally treated with adriamycin, cytoxin and 5FU. The cancer has metastasized to the bones, originally, last January I was started on Herceptin and Taxol, the Taxol was given weekly, I had a hard time taking it weekly because my ANC wouldn't stay high enough , I finally got 5 cycles in and the PET scan results showed dramatic interval inprovement, because I had such a hard time getting in the precsribed doses, I was taken off of Taxol and continued just Hercepting, the 3 month PET scan showed a dramatic interval worsening of lesions, I was put back on Taxol every 3 weeks with neulasta, Just had the PET scan, showed a dramatic interval improvement. I'm starting to have some neuropathy in my feet and my doctor wants to change me to Abraxane with Herceptin. I'm afraid since is going to be for 3 consecutive weeks, followed by a week off that I again won't be able to take it as prescribed because of the ANC problem. Should I advocate to stay on the Taxol for awhile?