Breast Cancer Community
change in nipple appearance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

change in nipple appearance

I am a 69 year old woman with no history of breast cancer.  However, I have had benign calcifications and a lump removed in the past from my right breast.  I am no longer taking hormone replacement which has resulted in my breasts becoming less dense and easier to palpitate for lumps.  I have recently noticed that my right nipple has been itching and now a darkened, rough to the touch, wart like growth has appeared on my nipple.  I am due for a mammogram next month.  Should I rush in to my internist or with this or wait until I see him next month?
Skin problems can occur on the breast like on any other part on the body.
If you haven't noticed any abnormal features like skin changes,inverted nipple,a breast lump, nipple discharge or have a sore that won't heal,then it could very well be just a skin problem.It could be eczema,skin infection or, as you say,a wart.
If the itchiness increases and the growth on your nipple is enlarging,I think you should not wait, but to see your doctor or better a dermatologist, so that appropriate treatment can resolve this problem.
It's a good thing you are having a mammogram next month to make sure that your breasts are healthy.
In the meantime,you could apply calamine lotion and take some (over the counter) oral antihistamine medications for the itching.This should help with your symptoms until you get to see your doctor.
Best wishes...
Thank you for your information.  I have visited my dermatologist and he is sending me on to my surgeon to do a biopsy.
You are welcome and thank you for updating us.
Good for you to have seen a dermatologist.I hope that the biopsy outcome will turn out to be nothing to worry about.
Please let us know when you get your results,by adding your comment or any question you may have on this same thread.Thank you.
Wishing you all the best...