Breast Cancer Community
chemo/ CMF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

chemo/ CMF

Has anybody here had CMF?  I have one more cycle to go of AC and then have three months of CMF.  Just wondering how people tolerate it.  People have said that AC is pretty hard.  Just wondering about the CMF and a comparison if anybody has had both AC and CMF.

Were people able to sustain a decent exercise programme during chemo?
Hi Jaquta
I have no personal experience here,but as Japdip has advised you on your previous post,Chemo side effects differ from person to person.It depends mainly on the dosage,your health status and how often is Chemo administered.
However,I have provided 2 links below and I hope it helps a little.
You will find a list of each chemo drug you are on, or going to have later on.By clicking on the drug it will give you in details all the side effects of the drug.
The second link will inform you on how to manage these unwanted side effects.

http://www.chemocare.com/bio/

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/

I hope you have discussed with your oncologist, regarding any discomfort you might be having,because there are many preventive measures available to help you avoid side effects such as nausea, vomiting and pain. Hoping that your treatments will be very successful in eliminating this disease completely.
Wishing you all the best...
Thanks.  Was wanting to hear back from people who had had them specifically.  I know individual experiences are different but some are more general.  Like hair loss for example.  I think the list of side-effects, at best, is frightening.  Who really wants to know and have to consent to treatment that can cause heart damage, heart failure, permanent cognitive changes, infertility, secondary cancers, etc, etc.

Thanks for your time.
I had CMF a while back and tolerated it extremely well.  I was able to work the whole time and had no ill effects from it.  Good luck to you!!!
Thanks!!  AC has been really hard so hopefully the CMF will be easier/ better tolerated.
I agree allthough I had Chemo and radiotherapy...I wished they had of told me what the side effects would be.....it has been 5 years after treatment and I have severe arthretic pain in the joints, I have to take anti inflammatories to be able to get through most days.  I want to know anybody that is going through the same and what they have done about it.
I read somewhere that as CMF is better tolerated that some clinicians will give it at the same time as radiation.

I have had radiation in the past and other than the fatigue and some minor skin changes (and maybe secondary breast cancer) I have not had any major side-effects.  Not sure if I can relate anything back to radiotherapy directly.

That sounds painful.

If it were me I guess that I would be re-visiting one of my doctors.  I would be pretty paranoid that the pain could be due to metastatic spread.
I would probably want some sort of scan for reassurance.  ?A bone scan.  ?A CT scan.  I would want some investigations done though.

Are the doctors saying that the pain is due to chemo?

I would want more answers.  At worst I guess I would be asking for a referral to a pain management clinic.
Just an update about the CMF for others who may be curious, either now or later.
Had to have my bloods redone due to low red and white blood cell counts.  They have come up enough in two days for me to have chemo today though.
Puked during the injections.  Don't feel bad but don't feel great.
Feel tired, have a fuzzy/ sore head, my hand hurts from the iv and I have some chest pain.  Overall not too too bad.  Only five more to go.