Breast Cancer Expert Forum
chemo and pap test/biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

chemo and pap test/biopsy
I am currently undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.  My Pap came back ASCUS so my GP may want to send me for a colposcopy and biopsy if the next Pap shows further dysplasia.  Two questions:  1) am I more susceptible to further dyslasia because of my weakened immune system, 2)  is a biopsy safe if my blood counts are down?
Thanks.
Dear lynnbellealan:  ASCUS stands for atypical cells of undetermined significance.  This result could represent many things including infection and inflammation.  In the absence of gynecological problems, the general recommendation is not to do PAP smears during chemotherapy.  You should discuss this result with your oncologist regarding when and how to follow up.