Breast Cancer Expert Forum
chemotherapy after lumpectomy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

chemotherapy after lumpectomy

I recently had a lumpectomy to remove a small tumor that was malignant. I'm not sure of the size but I wasn't able to feel it. It was found on a mammogram. After the surgery I needed to have a re-excision to remove DCIS. After that I had clear margins. I recently met with an oncologist. After studying my blood work, he will tell me the plan for treatment. What would be the considerations he will make to determine if I need chemotherapy? He said I would definitely have radiation treatments and probably hormone therapy.
Dear gmachris:  Factors that determine a recommendation of chemotherapy for localized disease include the type of tumor, grade of tumor, size of tumor, whether there are any lymph nodes involved, ER/PR status (hormone receptor status), HER2 status (whether the HER2 antigen is expressed on the tumor), age and health of the patient.  Radiation therapy is generally recommended in the case of lumpectomy.  Hormone therapy is usually recommended when the hormone receptors are positive.
Here's the national guidelines for treatment for breast cancer in the U.S.:

http://www.nccn.org/patients/patient_gls/_english/_breast/3_work-up.asp