chemotherapy medicines
My mother has been diagnosed with Ovary Cancer stage 3 and has spread to the Uterus and a small movement into the stomach lining . The doctors have operated and removed the Ovaries and Fallopian tubes and now they have to treat her with Chemotherapy before operating again .

Unfortunately , the Chemotherapy was started last week with Carboplatin, Gemzar and Taxol and my mother developed a severe hypersensitivity to Taxol and the treatment was immediately stopped , this week they started with an alternative to Taxol which was Taxotere and the same severe hypersensivity happened and was stopped also .
Her Doctor stated that he is going to put her on DOXIL with Carboplatin and Gemzar on the next session and she should not get the severe allergy and hypertension she had with the taxane group .
Can someone advise me please , if this is correct ?
Michael .

This discussion is related to Taxol versus Taxotere.
Hi.

Doxil is indeed a good alternative to the taxane group of drugs if ever the latter cannot be given for whatever reason.  In fact, Doxil is effective even for recurrences of ovarian cancer.  Doxil also has non-overlapping side effects with that of Gemzar and Carboplatin (mostly cutaneous side effects like rashes).  Doxil should be given slowly for the first few minutes as rapid rate of infusion can cause a drop in blood pressure.

After about 4-6 chemotherapy sessions, the next step is to go in again for surgery and remove any visible remaining tumors.

Regards.