Breast Cancer Community
chronic pain syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

chronic pain syndrome

my lumpectomy and lymph node diddection was 6 years ago, now I have scapular pain with radiation down my arm and into my thumb and first finger. What can I do?
thank you Rita

What side is the pain? Do you have tingling and numbness too?

This could be due to spondylitis - cervical; but nothing can be said with surety without a clinical examination.

You should take OTC pain relief medications, apply warm compresses, avoid lifting heavy weights and apply local analgesic ointment at the site. This should help with your symptoms til you see your doctor.

You would probably be advised investigations including xrays and a consultation with a physical therapist.

Do you have any swelling at the site too?

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Keep us posted about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
yes i have numbness and tingling, it is on my right side where the lympectomy and axillary disection was done, i have seen my docs for the 6 years post dx and the pain persists. I am currently taking 600mg of neurontin and 800mg of motrin prn and that doesn't control itl no swelling.  a hot tub? we have been planning to buy one however i dont think the insurance would pay that too :)
Thank you for your prompt answer. it means a lot
Rita

You should consult a breast specialist and get a clinical examination and relevant investigations done.

You could try warm compresses and see if it helps with your symptoms.

Let us know how you are doing and post us if you have any doubts.

Glad to know that the post was of some help.

Keep us posted.

Regards.