Breast Cancer Expert Forum
cluster of complex breast cysts

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

cluster of complex breast cysts

About 3 weeks ago I went to the doctor with breast pain that had started about a month earlier, a lump that felt hard below my left nipple and pain under both arms.  I'm 37.  The doctor recommended and ultrasound which determined to be a complex cyst with irregular borders and a solid component.  A surgical consultation was scheduled and initially the surgeon said there was no need to be alarmed by looking at the ultrasound.  Then he did a breast exam and said he recommended removal of lump altogether.  A second doctors opinion agreed, as did my primary doctor.  I went for the lump removal and they found a cluster of several complex cysts.  Now, reading your site I see that most cysts are just drained. I'm now waiting for results of the biopsy. There was also some greyish component in part of the cysts.  Does this sound like this be cancer?  And why would the "feel" of the lump determine a lump removal?
Dear ranm:  A simple cyst, which is just filled with fluid, is often drained and will disapear.  You are describing an entity that has both solid and cystic components, meaning that simply draining it would leave the solid part.  Thus the recommendation was to remove the whole lump so that there would be no question as to what it might be.
when there's a single round lump suggestive of cyst, draining it with a needle is usually all it takes. In your case it sounds like the area was irregular both by exam and on ultrasound: and the fact that there was some solid component means it wasn't just a simple cyst. When to do a biopsy is to some degree a matter of judgement; but unless it's very clear by various means that a lump is completely innocent, then it's usually best to err on the side of being certain. And that means having some sort of biopsy. What you describe so far sounds like it'll turn out fine.
Thank you for your help.  I trust my surgeon and dr.  They both happen to be a very calming; and level headed.  I was just curious about why the draining of the cyst wasn't an option and it never occurred to me to ask; but clearly now I understand.  I do feel relief that whatever it was is out.  Thanks again for your comments.