Breast Cancer Community
clusters of microcalcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

clusters of microcalcifications

This message is for all the women that look at this site who are currently being evaluated for a cluster of microcalcifications of the breast.  I am 42, 3 children, don't smoke, no family history of breast cancer and my mammogram showed a cluster of microcalcifications.  I had a stereo biopsy and it was benign. Every other story I read on here pointed to DCIS.  This note is to set the record straight.  Many microcalcifications can also be benign.
I wanted to share this to give someone some hope who might be going through a similar situation.  Hang in there.

This discussion is related to cluster of microcalcifications benign?.
Thank you for sharing your experience and insights. "i"
We appreciate your story and your thoughts. I think most of us here try to emphasize that statistically most biopsies end up with benign results. We try to encourage everyone who is going through the various biopsy procedures to remain hopeful.
Even the small percentage who end up with breast cancer diagnoses have every reason to be hopeful. Most are caught at an early stage and are highly treatable. The important thing is to be vigilant, get screened and follow through on the recommendations if something unusual is found. It is so much easier to deal with "what is" than to worry
about "what ifs". There are supportive, informative and wonderful women here to help
anyone who wants or needs it and for that we are all grateful.
nc
I too had microcalcification cluster in upper outer left breast. Turned out to be fibrocystic changes, B9! Was category Birads 4B.
Thank you for posting your story. I just got called Friday and told i have an indeterminate cluster of microcalcifications in the upper outer quadrant of my left breast near the armpit/lymphnodes. I was scared and extremely anxious. Had a good cry (maybe that was silly to be that scared) I go back this week for magnified view. Hopefully it will be benign I am glad to hear of other B9 stories and will try to not be anxious. Hopefully i will have good news tues and they will say B9 and nothing to worry about.
i feel so much better being educated by reading your posts, No need to worry just yet
Just want to add my good wishes to you on your follow up! Most of the time the results of the magnification will be fine, but if not, please don't worry needlessly. Worry won't change anything, so just try to take one step at a time. I had two clusters of microcalcs that led to a biopsy which found LCIS. I'm glad it was found (it's non-invasive), so now I know I have to be extra-vigilant with my screenings and I have an oncologist watching me carefully. I truly belive it's so much better to know "what is" than to worry about
"what ifs".
Wishing you all the best and sending a big hug (        ),
nc
Thank you nc. one day at a time is good advice. I'm trying not to worry. It will probably be fine.
Thank you for the nice words.
Annirose x
Had the magnified scan and ultrasound today and they are going to look again in six months , so i guess that is good news.
That IS good news! The radiologists know when to recommend biopsy and when to recommend short-term (usually 6 months) follow up. If the microcalcs remain stable
there's nothing to worry about. However, if you feel unsure and uncomfortable about the recommendation, you can always get a second opinion reading of your films. I still have microcalcs in area of my biopsy and I'm getting mammos every six months to monitor them, which will be in February. If you're comfortable with the radiologist's opinion, just make sure to get the follow up when recommended. We have to take care of ourselves and our "girls"!
Wishing you all the best in teh future,
nc
thank you for the encouragement. I am very relieved. I think the radiologist is pretty good, so i will follow his advice.