Breast Cancer Expert Forum
cognitive changes on femara
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

cognitive changes on femara

My mom who is a 7 year stage 2 breast cancer survivor has recently developed severe short term memory loss. She is 86 years old, but this is a sudden change for her. Her GP gave her some sort of 10 question test, which he said "she passed". She went through 5 years of tamoxifen and is on her 3rd year of femara. She never had chemo. Could these drugs, especially the Femara, be causing her memory problems?
Related Discussions
242527_tn?1292452740
Dear annaevangelina:  There have been no reports of
2 Comments
Blank
Until the bc nurse answers you, I thought I would just respond. I have bc, had chemo and rads, and I have short term memory loss, think it is called "chemo brain". I am 62 yrs. However, at your Mom's age, short term memory loss is almost inevitable. My husband, who is 78 yrs old, was a very bright electronics engineer, working with satellite technology, also has this, to a small degree.

My closest cousin was dx with Alzheimers at 50 yrs and was given the cognitive test - asked to name 10 colours, and she couldn't do it. She unfortunately died in a fire at her home and we have no answers as to why.

I would think if your Mum passed the 10 question test, she is doing okay - we all get short memory loss as we get older.

I would not be unduly concerned with your mother's problem and would be surprised if it is due to Femara. I have taken Arimidex for some 3 yrs now, and I don't think my memory loss is a contributory factor.

I will be interested to see what the nurse says.
Take care, Liz.
Blank
A related discussion, Memory Loss and Arimidex was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
15 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank