cost of mastectomy
IS THERE ANY HELP ONE CAN GET TO HELP PAYING FOR  A PREVENTATIVE MASTECTOMY WHEN ONE IS POSITIVE FOR BRAC 1 AND SURVIVOR OF OVARIAN CANCER.  MEDICARE WILL NOT PAY AND HAVE NO OTHER INSURANCE?
I suppose by your post that you do not have Insurance and I'm not too sure where you would get help in this type of situation. If you haven't had positive Mammograms or some form of indication that you may have a suspicion of Breast Cancer I really see no reason for a Mastectomy at this time. I wonder if you have even found a Surgeon who would perform this procedure at this point. If indeed you have such a Surgeon and Mastectomy has been recommended then that office should have some information as to where you might find some financial help.  Good Luck ......

As you are obviously aware, prophylactic mastectomy has been found to lower risk in BRCA positive women:

"Women with BRCA mutations who undergo prophylactic mastectomy or salpingo-oophorectomy reduce their risks for breast and ovarian cancer, according to an observational study in JAMA.

Researchers studied some 2500 women with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations. About half of the patients underwent risk-reducing surgery. After a median 3.5 years' follow-up, the following results were noted:

None of the women who underwent mastectomy had breast cancer events during follow-up, versus 7% of those who did not have surgery.
Similarly, prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy was associated with lower risk for ovarian cancer.
Salpingo-oophorectomy was also associated with decreased risk for breast cancer in both BRCA1 (hazard ratio, 0.63) and BRCA2 (HR, 0.36) carriers.
In addition, salpingo-oophorectomy was associated with lower all-cause mortality among those with and without prior breast cancers."

I'm sorry to say that I'm not able to help with sources of financial help either, but here are a couple of ideas: 1. If/when you have a surgeon, s/he might be able to appeal to Medicare for coverage for this procedure, based on the American Society of Clinical Oncology Guidelines. 2.Since you have had BRCA testing, perhaps your genetic counselor would have some ideas re financial assistance for prophylactic surgeries?

Please let us know if you find any help, as we will likely have others with the same question.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly

"