Breast Cancer Expert Forum
dark spots...

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

dark spots...
My grandmother had breast cancer....I am very attentive to any changes in my body, to include skin changes. About two weeks ago, I noticed a brown spot on the side (almost into my armpit)of my right breast. A couple days ago, I noticed a smaller spot on the left side. The right has grown since noting it.  At first, I thought maybe I just wasn't washing well enough so I paid special attention each day while showering.  I've since scrubbed so hard, I've drawn blood. I believe it's safe to say, it's not dirt.  I'm sure I was hoping it would be something so simple as that. I've never heard of "spots" like these being a precursor to cancer...are they a possible sign of such?
Dear usaftx:  Skin on the breast is like skin anywhere on the body and is subject to a variety of changes.  If this is worsening, it should be evaluated by your doctor or a dermatologist.